• starting strength seminar august 2024
    Currently my "advanced" linear progression program looks like this:
    Monday
    SquatX5X3
    Bench/PressX5X3
    Some accessory

Wednesday
    light SquatX5X2 (80% Monday)
    light Press/BenchX5X2 (80% last best press/bench..realized my shoulders needed the recovery too)
    DeadliftX5

Friday
    same as Monday

What I've found is that I'm at the point where the lower back fatigue from Monday's squats is ressurrected in the light squats on Wednesday and thus has been hampering my deadlift progress (best deadlift session on this progression so far has been 485/2 which was a failure but awesome because I started out at 385/5).

Would it be blasphemous to switch deadlifts first on Wednesday to take advantage of a fresher back and possibly do lighter squats (60% Monday) instead at the end?

[Squats are now at 375X5X3...hoping to be one of those that make it into the 400's on a linear progression.]

I realize that I can do whatever I want and that the only way to see if it would work is to try it out but I truly would like to read some of your opinions...or if anyone has done this before, let me know about your experiences with it.

sounds reasonable to me. if the light day is done to allow more recovery for Fridays squat, it is not providing adaptive stimulus. the deadlift on the other hand, will cause adaptation so it should take precedence over the squats IMO. but, if doing the deadlift first allows you too overload the body to a point where you cannot complete fridays squats, then you have a problem.

If your Wednesday squats are wearing you out that much they are too heavy. The light day is there for a reason, it should aid recovery, not take away from it. Those squats should be a nice warm-up for deadlifts. I would advise against pulling before you squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    If your Wednesday squats are wearing you out that much they are too heavy. The light day is there for a reason, it should aid recovery, not take away from it. Those squats should be a nice warm-up for deadlifts. I would advise against pulling before you squat.
    This.

Yeah man. Lower the Wed squats down to 60% or whatever you need them to get some blood flowing.