starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: please critique my program.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
    If you can't pick it up it can't hurt you. If you can't pick it up without good form then you really can't pick it up. I still stick with my guns that 315 is unlikely to hurt someone (a healthy, adult male) unless it is a form issue. And I'm not sure how you pull a groin doing a proper deadlift.
    Ryan, that doesn't make any sense. If you've trained according to the SS model of linear progression, you certainly know what it's like to grind through difficult reps where your form is starting to break down. This inevitably occurs as the weight gets heavy, and in order to progress, you must continue despite it (to a point). If you haven't experienced this, you're 1. fantastically well coached and 2. not very far into your linear progression.

There are plenty of healthy adult males for whom a 315 lb deadlift is quite a bit of weight for reps. Keep in mind, that it is entirely possible to injure yourself even if you're using textbook form. Proper technique reduces the risk of injury, but will never eliminate the risk.

Gary- thanks- wonder what you have done to ramp up your deads - assuming they were a weak link- not sure if by "in my experience" you mean direct experience or lifters youve observed. Also- enjoyed your article first year of powerlifting.
    I just moved them up because after looking at various programs aimed at ramping up deadlift strength, they looked too complicated- I work two jobs and have kids- so my gym time literally begins with a sprint from the car to the locker room (my warm up!) Also- my two little jobs- massage and music are both hand intensive- Ive found that after deadlifting heavy (relative to my strenght)
    If I have an athlete my grip needs that 40 minute recovery- not to mention time to file some rude ass callouses down so I dont scratch some ladies butt- and boy do they comment...

Damien- that was the gist of what I wanted to know- and thats basically what Im doing - Im going to take everyones advice on the 6x3 and go back to 1x5 and work it harder- I think a couple of weeks of volume helped though. will likely stick with the 10s- at 140 it's doable and feels good.
    Im curious what programs your'e referring to- also curious to know about a days 2 and 3- squatting three times a week and deadlifting twice? I read somewhere that high reps- in addition to being used for hypertrophy also develop connective tissue. wondering if thats a useful carryover.

Cerv- I think Ryan is just trying to impress upon me that a bad lift isnt a lift- and being strict about form is whats up- tho I gotta say- 4 weeks of having to hold ice next to your nut sac pretty much drives that point home well enough.

Thanks again yall- the responses helped. have a good week!
    Last edited by JM3; 05-16-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: talk way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post

Damien- that was the gist of what I wanted to know- and thats basically what Im doing - Im going to take everyones advice on the 6x3 and go back to 1x5 and work it harder- I think a couple of weeks of volume helped though. will likely stick with the 10s- at 140 it's doable and feels good.
    Im curious what programs your'e referring to- also curious to know about a days 2 and 3- squatting three times a week and deadlifting twice? I read somewhere that high reps- in addition to being used for hypertrophy also develop connective tissue. wondering if thats a useful carryover.
    a general powerlifting template is;
    Day 1: Bench Press (heavy)
    Day 2: Squat (heavy), Deadlift (light)
    Day 3: Bench Press (light)
    Day 4: Deadlift (heavy), Squat (light)

I wasn't referring to any 'programs' in particular. Just a rough template that many use.

No idea about the connective tissue thing.

The development of connective tissue, or structural protein, in the muscle is a component of the hypertrophy experienced from a high volume (body building type) program. Other than being an adapatation to better tolerate high volume lifting, I'm not sure what functional carry over there could be.

Quote Originally Posted by cervicornis View Post
    Ryan, that doesn't make any sense. If you've trained according to the SS model of linear progression, you certainly know what it's like to grind through difficult reps where your form is starting to break down. This inevitably occurs as the weight gets heavy, and in order to progress, you must continue despite it (to a point). If you haven't experienced this, you're 1. fantastically well coached and 2. not very far into your linear progression. .
    I coach myself, and have never had an injury that wasn't form related. In training, every rep needs to be as close to perfect as possible. A competition is different, and undoubtedly your form will be compromised. But in training the goal is not how much weight is on the bar. It is to get stronger.

I haven't done novice linear progression in about two years. However, I know when I switched to TM my DL was around 450. I don't think I'm special. I'm just a patient, methodical person that doesn't accept bad reps.

Quote Originally Posted by cervicornis View Post
    There are plenty of healthy adult males for whom a 315 lb deadlift is quite a bit of weight for reps. Keep in mind, that it is entirely possible to injure yourself even if you're using textbook form. Proper technique reduces the risk of injury, but will never eliminate the risk.
    If a person can pull 315 for 5 reps (good reps) we can assume that he can lift ~ 370 for a single. If your form is turning to garbage with 315 then you are lifting too much weight in respect to your 1RM. Reset, and build back up. If you keep getting stuck after a few resets, move on to intermediate programming.

Good form does not prevent all injuries, but it will prevent most. Sure, your ligaments/tendons can tear out of nowhere, but it doesn't usually happen with a deadlift that is around 1.5 BW for most athletes. And if you have been adding weight responsibly (which means slow and steady) it doesn't ever have to happen because your ligaments and tendons should be getting stronger as well as your muscles..

I am not calling people who can't lift 315 weak or trying to piss all over anyone's accomplishments. I just wanted to let the OP know that more than likely his form is the culprit, and should be fixed before any other measures are taken.

starting strength coach development program
    As I said- I knew it was form related- after all it happened on the second warm up set- no where close to where I was headed that day- and for that reason I was moving fast and not paying attention...In fact-Ive never had problems with heavy weights- because Im more present with those lifts.. I never intended to blame the movement itself- was a syntax error in the original post so -point unneccesary- but certainly well taken. Thanks again.
    Last edited by JM3; 05-17-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12