starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate/Texas Method Help

Default Intermediate/Texas Method Help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well Ive sort of been floundering around the last month or so. I think my linear progression is running short although finals and other obligations have been fucking me lately. I plan to get back on track though and finish my linear progression early this summer. Since Im nearing the end of the novice program I went ahead and read PPST but I have a few questions;

Do you guys do the volume workout for all the exercises on monday (ie Bench, Squat, Dead for 5x5) or do you mix up the volume day for each exercise (ie Squat 5x5 mon, Bench 5x5 wed, Dead 5x5 fri)? Im assuming its all on the same day but I figured Id ask.

How do you guys program deads while doing TM?

I'm also more interested in the speed sets as opposed to friday max effort workout. My main focus though is getting my numbers up so Id do whatever is better for that task; so is one better than the other?

Also anybody have some advice for improving on the Bench? Id say its my worst lift an every time I attempt to shed a little of my GOMAD belly it goes down pretty rapidly.

Im a few weeks removed from these PRs but heres what I put up for reference;
    Squat 360 3sets 5reps
    Dead 410 1sets 5reps
    Bench 225 3sets 5reps
    Press 155 3sets 5reps
    Chins BW 12 rep max
    Height 6' 3", Weight 230
    Last edited by dwm24; 05-27-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwm24 View Post
    Well Ive sort of been floundering around the last month or so. I think my linear progression is running short although finals and other obligations have been fucking me lately. I plan to get back on track though and finish my linear progression early this summer. Since Im nearing the end of the novice program I went ahead and read PPST but I have a few questions;

Do you guys do the volume workout for all the exercises on monday (ie Bench, Squat, Dead for 5x5) or do you mix up the volume day for each exercise (ie Squat 5x5 mon, Bench 5x5 wed, Dead 5x5 fri)? Im assuming its all on the same day but I figured Id ask.

How do you guys program deads while doing TM?

I'm also more interested in the speed sets as opposed to friday max effort workout. My main focus though is getting my numbers up so Id do whatever is better for that task; so is one better than the other?

Also anybody have some advice for improving on the Bench? Id say its my worst lift an every time I attempt to shed a little of my GOMAD belly it goes down pretty rapidly.

Im a few weeks removed from these PRs but heres what I put up for reference;
    Squat 360 3sets 5reps
    Dead 410 1sets 5reps
    Bench 225 3sets 5reps
    Press 155 3sets 5reps
    Chins BW 12 rep max
    Height 6' 3", Weight 230
    I'll try to touch on everything in my personal experiences. For my volume day, I've done 2 variations:
    5x5 squat
    5x5 bench
    5x3 powercleans

5x5 squat
    5x5 bench/press alternating
    1xmax halting deadlifts (deadlift weakness off of ground)

I found that having the powerclean on Monday was too tiring; I was gassed when I got to them and had technical problems. I now put those in on Wednesday.

I use the deadlift variation of Monday and then the main lift on Friday.

In regards to you asking which is better, speed vs max effort, in my experience, I use speed sets when I find my bar speed slowing down. One is not better than the other per se. Remember, power = force/time. In order to be the strongest you can be, you want to be able to generate maximum force in the shortest amount of time. I mostly use max training and lightly sprinkle in speed, but your mileage my vary.

Bench training, my advice would be to make sure you're getting maximum leg drive; make sure you've got a nice arch. You should be rock solid when unracking. In terms of programming, it's the same as any other lift. If you're having a ton of trouble, you could try some weak point training, but that's at your discretion. Good luck

so metal you do haltings on mondays and cleans on wednesdays and the max on friday? do you do chins?

is it 1 set to failure of haltings or 1rm?

You mentioned 5x5 Deadlifts - not sure if that was intentional or not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 5x5 deadlifts sounds like overkill, considering that it's the deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    so metal you do haltings on mondays and cleans on wednesdays and the max on friday? do you do chins?

is it 1 set to failure of haltings or 1rm?
    I only do pullups/chinups when I feel like it on Wednesdayl; I haven't had them programmed in my routine for a while, but I do love them weighted. For haltings, I do 1 set to failure, aiming for somewhere around 8-12 reps. When need be, I'll rotate them with haltings, but if I can get it at my knees, I can lock it out like cake

Quote Originally Posted by imnotbncre8ive View Post
    You mentioned 5x5 Deadlifts - not sure if that was intentional or not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 5x5 deadlifts sounds like overkill, considering that it's the deadlift.
    Seconded.
    If I remember correctly, PPST (second edition) keeps deadlifts to one set of five, both in the text and in the examples at the end of the book. Whether to put them at the end of the voluem day, or at the end of the intensity day, it's your choice.

IPB

Yea I didn't think 5x5 deads would be very productive. So for deads you do 1x5 heavy once per week and the other two days you use some other less stressful pulling variation?

Yea I didn't think 5x5 deads would be very productive. So for deads you do 1x5 heavy once per week and the other two days you use some other less stressful pulling variation?
    I PC high volume on Monday, 3x3 Wed and do the Deads on friday alternating 1RM, 2RM and 3RM.

If you can still make progress on deads by pulling heavy once a week, then I'm guessing that is the best way to go. Otherwise, Rip mentioned the use of halting deads + rack pulls to drive deadlift progress. Just throwing that out there. It's in Mean Ol Mr Gravity, let me kno if u want the page or a little more specifics from the book.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by imnotbncre8ive View Post
    If you can still make progress on deads by pulling heavy once a week, then I'm guessing that is the best way to go. Otherwise, Rip mentioned the use of halting deads + rack pulls to drive deadlift progress. Just throwing that out there. It's in Mean Ol Mr Gravity, let me kno if u want the page or a little more specifics from the book.
    If you don't mind could you lay out a template as to how one would program the halting deads and rack pulls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast