starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strength and conditioning program

Default strength and conditioning program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I need to get in shape for upcoming sporting event. So i've started with the following ingredients and sought to turn them into a program:

Two squat workouts, because one is too little and three is too many.
    Powercleans twice, because one only would be pointless.
    Two metcons, because one only would be pointless and three is too many.
    Deadlift, same reasoning, it has to be only one workout.
    Three pushes (alternating bench/press) and it can't be any less or any more.

So given those constraints -- i have come up with two potentially useful programs:

and a second one:

I have my own gym and metcons can be done in the park next door so the only constraint on time is that it can't be too long. Recovery is an issue. Deadlifts tend to leave me fucked up for a few days.

I've already considered and rejected the Wichita falls strength/conditioning programs because they don't involve enough push work to progress for me.

All useful criticism welcome.

If it compiles... ship it!

(Very sorry... this was on the "Programming" thread and I just couldn't resist the computer nerd joke)

It actually looked fairly reasonable to me. You probably want to keep the metcons shorter anyway.
    I've been making the Power Cleans into a mini-metcon by doing 10 sets of 2 reps on the minute.

But I really just wanted to make my little joke.

Going away now.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 06-02-2010 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    If it compiles... ship it!

(Very sorry... this was on the "Programming" thread and I just couldn't resist the computer nerd joke)

It actually looked fairly reasonable to me. You probably want to keep the metcons shorter anyway.
    I've been making the Power Cleans into a mini-metcon by doing 10 sets of 2 reps on the minute.

But I really just wanted to make my little joke.

Going away now.
    Haha! Well i've taken your advice and subsumed powercleans into my metcon workout, and now it looks something like this:

thoughts?
    Last edited by msingh; 06-02-2010 at 03:00 AM.

Btw i'm open to a completely different program than those above, this is for advice not a decided thing.

Does that mean my program is perfect if there is no criticism? lol

All of this to play a pick up game of basketball? Just lift dude. Do some higher reps as back off sets to get winded. Pull a sled. Push a prowler.

I dont have a sled or prowler, would like to get one at some stage but ive just ordered a new belt and not looking to buy new equipment right now.Whats an alternative for pushing those?

Are you still going to try to gain weight through all this?

definitely not!! I haven't tried to gain weight for a long time now. I dieted down to 101 kg (from 112 kg) at the start of the year, since then my weight hovers around 104-106kg now. Once i get my squat to 3 plates i will diet down about 20 kg, but that's not happening any time soon.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    I dont have a sled or prowler, would like to get one at some stage but ive just ordered a new belt and not looking to buy new equipment right now.Whats an alternative for pushing those?
    I would forget the metcons and decrease the load (slightly) and increase the reps on the basic lifts. High rep squats/DL's (10-15 rep range)completly wind the fuck out of me. You can also do some timed PC's and snatches. (2 heavy PC's every 30 seconds or some shit) Those kick ass to. The thing you don't want to do, is lose any of your hard earned strength doing burpees, running, etc. Youre already getting conditioned playing basketball, (which was the point of the JP article)the strength you are gaining will keep you going longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast