starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no chins, pull ups

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeshift Chef View Post
    I'm 230# and the one I use at home hasn't broken anything yet. I've been using it for about a month now.
    You aren't trying hard enough to be awesome.

On amazon, just read the 1 and 2 star reviews. Some of them had too thin doorframes, but at least one person got injured badly from falling to the floor when a bolt failed.

I agree with finding a way to do them via jungle gyms, power racks, or other miscellaneous objects that allow you to pull your body weight, but I'll throw in another suggestion if you deem it impossible to find any of the things mentioned above - rack chins. If done correctly, they're a mean exercise

haha, i'd love to see video.

I have tried one at a friend's house and it sags horribly. It really takes the power out of your pull when it comes down an inch when you get started. He came to my gym (old location) and used a proper solid bar and he was amazed at the difference.

I'd sooner assemble something that screws into the ceiling and is made of solid steel.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsco View Post
    My gym is a real piece of crap and there's no way for me to do proper chins and pullups in there. Is it possible for me to avoid them for another year or so until I build my own home gym? Just stick to the basic lifts....
    Is there a reason you want to do them (competing in a pullup contest or training for the marines or something?)

no reason, I actually don't want to do them because there isn't any easy way to do them in my gym. plus anytime i've tried to do them I wasnt even able to complete one. so not only would i have to find a creative way to do them, id also have to use a special method to gain the strength to do one rep

Once you work chins into your program, your other lifts should improve too...It's great you are trying to do them. Most people think they suck and avoid...

starting strength coach development program
    Smith machine does the trick. What gym doesn't have a smith machine? I've seen gyms with two smith machine and no squat rack, even.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12