starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: progress after deload

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wow, I didn't think so many ppl would comment on this. Before you go on with this argument, I'll provide some basic stats of my own to work with.

I'm almost 36, male, and I've never worked out much before other than jogging and bike riding (so, I've never seriously lifted weights before). I've been doing SS for about 2 months now, but I'm sure I'm doing some things incorrectly as my stats aren't anywhere as high as they probably should be. I'm guessing I'm not eating enough food.

I'm a bit over 5'10, and I now weigh 187 lbs. I weighed about 167 when I started this 2 months ago. I am more muscular than I was before, but I'm also more fat.

I have not been able to do squats properly for two months, and I'm still working on form. Therefore, I've kept the weight low on those. I'm at about 100 lbs now.

I couldn't do 100 lbs bench press for 5 reps, 3 sets when I started, but I can do 154 lbs 5 reps, 3 sets (albiet slow reps) now. Press went from 66 lbs to 99 lbs in two months. I have tried substituting rows for cleans as there are no bumper plates, and the Japanese in the gym get angry if anyone makes any plate banging noises. I'm still working on form.

I live in the middle of the city. I have no idea where I can find a hardware store around here as I'm surrounded by hostess clubs, karaoke places, and convenient stores. I'll have a look around and see what I can find that weights about 1/2 kg.

I would guess that microloading and being able to advance each time would be better than failing over and over again with 2.5kg increases.

Here's something from Rip's recent post where another lifter asked a similar question on presses:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're probably trying to take 5 lb. jumps on your press progression, and this only works for big guys for a while. Small jumps are essential for the press. First thing to be sure about is your technique: are you getting stuck because the bar is too far from your shoulders as it leaves the start, creating too long a lever arm between shoulder and bar? If it's close enough and you're not pushing it away, back up to a weight that permits all your sets of 5, and then start back up in small enough increments - no more than 2 lbs. - that you can adapt to the load between workouts and sustain your progress. If you start pushing the last 2 reps, it will be about 3 weeks until you're pushing the last 4. Push presses are fine as assistance for the right lifters, but progress will quickly stop if you start relying on a push for all your presses. Use a push for backoff, or make them a separate day, but hang your progress on strict presses and make them go up in as small an increment as necessary to sustain progress as long as possible.
    Last edited by jab50; 06-22-2010 at 04:50 AM.

Woops, I forgot to mention that my dead lift has gone from 75kg to 105kg. I have had to reset a few times, not because it was too heavy, but my form was poor. I'm confident my form is better now as my lower back is not hurting anymore.

Another thing I should mention. Around the 4th week of this program, I started doing chin-ups and bar dips. I couldn't really do either of them that first week (I worked on negatives). I can do at least 5 of each (full ones) now. But I wonder if by doing those extra exercises, I'm somehow hurting my ability to do the main ones?

I've never seen anyone in my gym warm up for OHP with 135 lbs. I've actually never seen anyone but myself and small women press a barbell overhead in my gym.

I'd have to agree that Beast's estimates for "most people" are way off... 70kg is 154lbs. I will have to work for a year before I'm repping that weight. I'm foreseeing a stall soon and I'm at 115 (just failed 1 rep last time out). (5'11", 195lb up from 149lb)

I'm going to make a wild guess that Beast, when offering that example weight of 135 lbs for warm-up, was referring to the bench press, not the overhead press.

Pretty much everyone who walks through the door (and doesn't just do cardio), does bench pressing. I have yet to see anyone in my gym do a standing press. The closest I've seen is a few guys doing behind the neck presses. But they often use too much weight, and they only do half the movement. That seems to be the norm for my gym: people using more weight than they should, then doing partial reps.

Another thing I see is someone walking in, putting on a ton of weight on the bar, and trying to lift it. It's rare that I see anyone actually warm up with lesser weight first.

Yeah, but that would suggest that he didn't read the original post, and we know that NEVER happens on the internet

I was referring to the press when I said most people in my gym warm up with 135, all I meant was that if people can war up with that as their first set, surely most men can can press it for reps after a few months training.
    Anyhow if you feel you need to micro load, just go on the internet and buy some fractional plates.

Also i'm not surprised you stall if you're doing bar dips, the program calls for 3 sets at weights basically 5rm therefore warranting rests in the 10-15 minute range. If you do dips you have doubled your workout basically, you're doing six sets therefore, how do you expect to improve on Wednesday if you're doing heavy presses and dips on monday, and remember a good bench will help drive up the press. Plus if you can't do powercleans just to hangcleans, theese will jack up your traps and i'm pretty sure help the lockout part of the press where you shrug your traps up, and rows are ghey if you can't do many chins.

"3 sets at weights basically 5rm therefore warranting rests in the 10-15 minute range"

I cant be the only one thinking 10-15 minutes is a little long...have you really made progress doing this for the overhead press beast?

starting strength coach development program
    If i were doing 5*5 presses 5 mins is usually about right, however when doing ss after a month or so, i'd rather get my reps by resting, rip recommends this too, when someone is squatting 455 for 3 sets of 5 near the end, sometimes they have to have to rest a good 20 minutes. When i re did ss i got up to around 200 for 3 sets of 5 in presses before properly stalling and now i don't really press heavy i just do sets of 10-12 every other week or so after benching which is now my priority (i'm competing in a power lifting meet later this year and i get tested on bench at uni). However i was only benching and pressing once a week during ss so got some extra recovery, it was a similar program to crossfit football which calls for 5lbs jumps on presses too. Also i started at a much heavier bodyweight than most people because i'm quite tall, so most probably may only get to 135 adding 5lbs jumps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12