starting strength gym

Thread: Considering moving onto Intermediate, advice?

Default Considering moving onto Intermediate, advice?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all, so I've reset/deloaded during the novice program about 3x's due to form issues and injury. This last time I hit a good stride doing the advanced novice program. Here are my current successful numbers:

At 5''10 205lbs

Squat - 335 5x3 (stalled at 340 x3,2,2)
    Bench - 225 5x5 (stalled at 227.4 x5,4,3)
    Press - 155 5x3 (stalled at 157.4 x4,2,2)
    Deadlift - 435 5x1
    Clean - 135 3x5 (just started these again, aggravated my bicep early on).

On monday when I stalled on 340 (not surprising since 335 felt VERY hard), I started considering an intermediate program. Also, I hurt my elbow on the last rep (pushed down on the bar as I was ascending).

Today was light squat day and it felt really hard, I was no where near recovered. Also stalled on the bench. I feel like I lost my momentum and, again began looking into the intermediate programs.

It really sucks, as I was really hoping I had atleast a few more weeks ahead of me. On top of this, I have my first meet at a WABDL sanctioned event coming up august 14th.

Would it be wise to go light again friday and begin an intermediate program starting monday? or give it one more shot next week?

Great numbers, Homer. Why aren't you updating your log?

I would say that with 3 resets you are probably ready to move to intermediate programming, as long as you are managing your recovery properly. How has your eating been? Sleep? If you get more food down, you may be able to extend the novice gains, but it may be more efficient to move to intermediate programming and keep gaining.

You might have a little more in you, but, yeah, if I were you I might see what Friday feels like (if it feels good, maybe try intensity day, or just take a mediumish day) and then start on intermediate on Monday. I like your deadlift numbers.

Hey dudes, I hit 340 5x2, then stalled on the 3rd set only getting 2 reps. I probably doe have more in me, but it might just be more efficient to move onto intermediate for squats.

Bench still has some more linear gains, as I hit 227.4 5x3 w/o any problems.

Press stalled again, but I don't think I recovered from the bench day.