starting strength gym

Thread: Dynamic/Repetitin Effort (DE/RE) on Texas MEthod Volume Day

Default Dynamic/Repetitin Effort (DE/RE) on Texas MEthod Volume Day

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In PPST2 on pages 126-127 you go into detail about Dynamic Effort work in conjunction with the Texas Method. Most templates and questions that I've seen stem from the idea of using RE/DE work on the Intensity Day. However near the end of the section you briefly mention the idea of using the RE/DE work as the stresser on the Volume Day with some maximal work, heavy singles, etc... as the stresser on the Intensity Day.

My questions are thus:

When would a trainee find it appropriate to institute the DE/RE work on Volume Day?

Would it be a requisite that DE/RE work was done on Intensity Day prior to it being used on Volume Day?

Would moving the 5x5 work on Volume Day into a DE/RE rep scheme be a viable alternative when a stall is looming/occurs?
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 06-26-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Well, since this thread has been here for a while I'll chime in what little I know. I think you can use DE in a TM template on either Volume or Intensity days.

I think the purpose of starting on Intensity day is because in the normal progression it will be like a new movement and the trainee will have trouble generating enough of a stress to replace the normal 5x5 volume day.

If that's not the case for you, go ahead and try them on volume day.

One thing I noticed personally when I first tried them on intensity day was that I had trouble adapting to the number of overall reps... 5x5 Monday followed by a 10x3 (or whatever) on Friday. If you factor in a little form sloppiness (like I had on bench) you've got a potential problem.

TM Intensity day is the same thing as ME for all intents and purposes. Volume day is RE, that is, 5x5 utilities the rep method of training, but only one dimension of it. That can be played with as well to further progress.

When is it appropriate to do some dynamic effort work? When optimal progress is spurred by that variable being added to your training. Trial and error. Try it. The world will not end. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZKP View Post
    When is it appropriate to do some dynamic effort work? When optimal progress is spurred by that variable being added to your training. Trial and error. Try it. The world will not end. Good luck.
    Agreed, nobody here trains you so we can't say when the best time is. There's nothing wrong with trying something on your own. My guidelines would be as follows, this assumes you're on the TM because you've exhausted the novice progression:

Do the standard TM until you stall, then drop the weights 10% and go until you stall again. At that point you might benefit from DE training, take a look at your goals. If you're primarily interested in strength, replace volume day with DE, if you're primarily interested in muscle mass, replace intensity day with DE. Simple.

This is a blanket, generic recommendation, I don't know your training history or advancement level, or even if you're doing the lifts properly so it's tough to give specific advice, everyone is different. Hence the idea of learning about the different methods (as you're doing with reading), and intellingently devising the best way to use them in your own training and learning through trial and error.