starting strength gym

Thread: 100 Pushups vs NavySeals

Default 100 Pushups vs NavySeals

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

This is a question about programming. I'm not advocating either of these programs, not am I suggesting that Bodyweight exercises for Reps are a good Idea, compared to doing a strength routine. I'm just comparing these for fun.

I was looking at the 100 Pushups website. It has a workout-workout progression, based on your current pushup numbers (judged by a bi-weekly test). Week 1 looks like this.

http://www.hundredpushups.com/week1.html

I was also looking at various military fitness guidlines from around the world to see how fit I should be. The Navy Seal Physical Training guide for Calisthenics. It has a weekly progression, based on a weekly test.

Week 1 looks like this (assuming <40 reps in intial test)
    5-6 x 10-15

So, is there any benefit in the additional complexity in the hundred pushups program? Workout to workout increases aren't explicitly mentioned in the Seal guide, but I assume that if you had gas left in the tank you would add extra sets / reps as recognised by the fact that it prescribes a RANGE of reps.

Thoughts?

The hundredpushups guy doesn't really know jack shit except a good way to make money on the internet. If you tell people to do lots of pushups, they'll get better at pushups. 200 squats is equally stupid.

Yeah, I think that because it looks more complicated, people think it must be some kind of secret system. A lot of people spend more time looking for the perfect system than they do actually training.

The seal guide basically says, "You want to get good at volume? SETS x REPS BITCHES!"

So there's basically no difference between tapered sets and sets across...?

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    The hundredpushups guy doesn't really know jack shit except a good way to make money on the internet. If you tell people to do lots of pushups, they'll get better at pushups. 200 squats is equally stupid.

thats funny. its the same thing with these seal websites. all an ex naval spec ops guy has to do is drop the word "seal," and everyone within a 2 mile radius is drooling and fawning over him. these websites are run by a bunch of ex seals looking to make a buck. theyre not training authorities by any means, or have necessarily seen action. they were just stubborn and tough enough to make it through buds (which is basically a 6 month triathlon).

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to say anything positive about the seal thing, I've never seen that before. I just hate that hundredpushups guy.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by scoppi View Post
    thats funny. its the same thing with these seal websites. all an ex naval spec ops guy has to do is drop the word "seal," and everyone within a 2 mile radius is drooling and fawning over him. these websites are run by a bunch of ex seals looking to make a buck. theyre not training authorities by any means, or have necessarily seen action. they were just stubborn and tough enough to make it through buds (which is basically a 6 month triathlon).
    Agreed.

I'm not suggesting it's better because it's SEALs, I'm suggesting it's better because it's not as faux scientific.