starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Super (20 rep) Squats.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I was attracted to the idea of super squats because I felt I could benefit from more reps at less intensity.
    mate - just for your own benefit - do 1 set of 20 rep squats just once and see how quickly you backpedal on this less intensity statement.

I did it for a short time some time ago..
    basically, after rep 20, I had to rack, fall back on my arse, lie down on the ground where I was for a good 5 minutes before rolling over and crawling over to the seat where I would then sit for a further 10 minutes feeling sick.

at 88kg, I got to 95kg for 20 reps and I just could not mentally go further.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    mate - just for your own benefit - do 1 set of 20 rep squats just once and see how quickly you backpedal on this less intensity statement.

I did it for a short time some time ago..
    basically, after rep 20, I had to rack, fall back on my arse, lie down on the ground where I was for a good 5 minutes before rolling over and crawling over to the seat where I would then sit for a further 10 minutes feeling sick.

at 88kg, I got to 95kg for 20 reps and I just could not mentally go further.
    This 20 reps squat business is some scary shit.

Something worth pointing out is that if you want to go the 20 rep route, I'd strongly recommend using high bar squats, as they're much easier to keep the bar in place over a longer period of time, and your set will probably turn into less of a GM-ish nightmare as you start pushing your limits.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    Something worth pointing out is that if you want to go the 20 rep route, I'd strongly recommend using high bar squats, as they're much easier to keep the bar in place over a longer period of time, and your set will probably turn into less of a GM-ish nightmare as you start pushing your limits.
    Thanks for your the tip. One of the reasons I was seduced by higher reps is because I had already switched to high bar squats. It is difficult to move big weights with high bar, but for moving moderate weights for higher reps they seem ideal. The higher volume would also encourage my hip joints to adapt to the position I need for cleans/snatches.

20 reps was probably excessive.

Im doing Starr's squat program starting tomorrow which involves 10 rep squats at the highest, but more total sets/volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Thanks for your the tip. One of the reasons I was seduced by higher reps is because I had already switched to high bar squats. It is difficult to move big weights with high bar, but for moving moderate weights for higher reps they seem ideal. The higher volume would also encourage my hip joints to adapt to the position I need for cleans/snatches.

20 reps was probably excessive.

Im doing Starr's squat program starting tomorrow which involves 10 rep squats at the highest, but more total sets/volume.
    I actually think sets of 10 are highly underrated, and I'd guess a better starting point for a lot of people than 5's, honestly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ZKP View Post
    ...If you're thinking of giving a 20 rep squat program a try, you're really not changing much if you're comparing it to ss. Do it. See how you like it. Stick with Rips programming in the upper body dept, and everything else for that matter, and just replace the 5x3 with 20x1. One set of 20 adding 2.5 or 5 lbs to the bar every time is murder and proof a a sadistic God. Drink your milk and eat your cheeseburgers, and pray if you believe in it. Start too light, there will be plenty of time for it to get heavy and it will, sooner than later, believe me.
    This is how I started SS (though obviously NDTP)

The gym I went to had no squat racks, but rather than not squatting, I asked two guys to lift the bar for me, spot me, and then take the bar at the end. I thought asking them to do this for three sets of five would be taking the piss, but I thought one set of 20 would take a couple of minutes of their gym time and nobody minded - I could always find a couple of guys to help me. It usually ended in all of the people in the (small) gym stopping what they're doing and staring at the weird guy wobbling around with a bar on his back.

I started with 60kg, and added 2.5kg every time, 3x a week until I got to 90kg, and then the gym got some squat stands!

I did 1x20 Squats, followed by dizziness and much lying on the floor, followed by 3x5 bench/press and 5x3 Power Cleans or 1x5 DL

...followed by lots of milk and double cheeseburgers

I grew.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123