starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What now??

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    If someone from startingstrength calls you big or strong or both, believe them. If someone says you're not fat, get a second opinion, preferably from someone in the real world.
    Did you see the picture?

What is your opinion of his fat levels?

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    Did you see the picture?

What is your opinion of his fat levels?
    Nope I didn't see it, nor do I have any opinion on his fat levels. I'll go with blow's estimate though cause he seems to be pretty clued up.

Well i don't really know what my bodyfat is but i know that i definitely dropped a fair bit of fat, although i find that i'm getting too skeletal (especially my arms) and so i definitely want to 'bulk'. So if i'm shooting for 1kg/week that would be too much?? I was still gaining about that much several months into the program. Haha no wonder i got chubby =) So how much are you guys typically gaining for those who are in late stage SS or intermediate programming.

And about what program i should do, there's still quite a conflict between whether i should try to squeeze some more out of LP or switch to intermediate. And for intermediate would anyone know the pro's and con's of 5/3/1 and Texas method. They're probably the 2 programs i'd be deciding between. I've had some friends tell me to try out a 5x5 based program for more 'hypertrophy' but i don't think i'm strong enough to use it effectively...right?

start with SS, then move to TM. basically at your strength levels after dieting there's no way you can't make linear progress once you add a surplus. when that begins to become too much (which may very well be when you're stronger than you ever were previously on SS), switch to an intermediate program. i don't even know what comments like this mean:

Fuck it. If you're having issues with weight gain, just go with an intermediate program.
    like an intermediate program somehow solves gaining weight.

Hmm so if i restart SS, should i do normal SS? Or the more advanced one with light squat days on wednesday? And also I know that I won't be eating as much as when i first started SS (so i won't be gaining like 4 or 5lbs/wk) and on a similar note I know that i won't be able to add as much to the bar as i did at the start of SS. Any pointers as to how much i should be aiming to increase to the bar each workout? Or is it too hard of a question to answer

After that period of time and that extent of weight loss, you will have some LP in you if you return to a caloric surplus. You may not be willing to follow that approach for long, and if you're too cautious with your calories you may prematurely limit how much LP is possible, but you would be robbing yourself of some pretty easy gains if you didnt go back to that sort of approach even for as little as a month.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    Hmm so if i restart SS, should i do normal SS? Or the more advanced one with light squat days on wednesday?
    It can't hurt to be a little conservative, especially with lower food intake.

Ok so from what i gather i should try to get some SS for a bit even if it's the advanced version. Any ideas though still as to how much i should be aiming to add to the bar for the lifts considering they had slowed down already even before i decided to diet. (squats were inconsistently going up 1kg each heavy workout so that was twice a week - found it hard to add the 1kg on the friday because of lack of recovery from wednesday's heavy deads, deads were at 2.5kg, bench and press were 0.5kg and powercleans were doing decently well because i revamped my form and that helped me squeeze out more weight)

And for anyone interested in my new after pics today which are too skeletal in my opinion:
    Attached Images Attached Images

If 1kg increases are too much on your squat try .75kg (if you have the plates for it) or .5kg jumps. Basically just keep trying to increase each workout. Even if you only only increase 1kg per week on your squat after 4 months you'll have gained ~16kgs which is not bad at all.

starting strength coach development program
    Arguing about body fat percentages is a waste of time. It is an almost unknowable number. 71 kg in body weight is about 157 lbs. You know what you need to do, but if not, I will paraphrase Mr. Sheaffer:

Create a demand in the gym through hard training. Fill that demand with good quality food.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast