starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What now??

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    i am having the impression that YDWTDTP (you dont want to do the program).

you're not as advanced as you think you are. just do the program and it will work no need for assistance when not in TM.

I agree that I am not advanced. So i should just do this:

Monday
    3x5 squats
    3x5 bench/press
    5x3 powerclean

Wednesday
    3x5 squats (80% of monday's weight)
    3x5 bench/press
    1x5 deadlift

Friday
    3x5 squats
    3x5 bench/press
    3x5 weighted chins

Nice and simple.

And I have to admit that I don't want to follow to the program to the letter because as I said, I'm only going to be eating to gain about 1lb/week and maybe a bit more. I would think this may not generate as optimal conditions for the original SS program which is why I am trying to adapt it.

eben though you are aiming for 1lb/week, you said that you will deload so it will certainly hold up for a while. besides 1lb is 1lb unless your constipated.

Well i was under the impression that to do a successful run of SS more weight should be gained than 1lb/week, although i guess it's not really stated in the book exactly how much one should gain. Rip talks about skinny untrained males being able to stack on like 10-15lbs or something in the first few weeks (can't remember the exact numbers but it's in the book and i think also the YNDTP article). But beyond that, there's not much information as to how much an intermediate should be eating/gaining bodyweight-wise to maximise results, but i guess that's because it's highly individual.

But yes i will stick to the program as i listed above.

@PVC, so you say going 3x3 might do better than 3x5 because it allows more weight to be added each session? I was/am planning to do chinups as a main lift rather than an accessory exercise and so i thought 3x5 weighted and progressively loading (either by increasing weight added or bodyweight) would best mimic this.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    I agree that I am not advanced. So i should just do this:

Monday
    3x5 squats
    3x5 bench/press
    5x3 powerclean

Wednesday
    3x5 squats (80% of monday's weight)
    3x5 bench/press
    1x5 deadlift

Friday
    3x5 squats
    3x5 bench/press
    3x5 weighted chins

Nice and simple.

And I have to admit that I don't want to follow to the program to the letter because as I said, I'm only going to be eating to gain about 1lb/week and maybe a bit more. I would think this may not generate as optimal conditions for the original SS program which is why I am trying to adapt it.
    That seems like a pretty standard SS program. 1 lb a weeks seems ok but you'll only know if it works when you run it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    Also, for the chins you might have faster progress doing 3x3 instead of 3x5. I've been able to add 2.5 lbs to my chin ups every session that I do them (Monday and Friday) for a number of weeks by using 3x3. I started with 3x5, and for a few workouts I added weight every time, but it quickly got to the point where I was adding weight every 2 weeks.
    Good tip.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345