starting strength gym

Thread: Routine recommendation?

Default Routine recommendation?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been lifting off an on for about 2.5 years now, following various bodybuilding-oriented routines and splits.

I do think my messing around in the gym has given me a somewhat decent base, but I'd like to start taking my lifting seriously and am looking to gain some serious strength.

My stats (note that I recently tested these to get an idea of my 5RM's on different lifts)
    5' 6" 196lb
    150x5 Press
    245x5 Bench
    275x5 Squat (no belt)
    385x5 Deadlift (no belt)
    90x5 Weighted Dips
    BWx8 Chin-ups (pretty weak, I know)

What routine would you recommend for me? I would just like to get stronger and work towards a 1400-1500 raw total.

pretty nice lifts for your ht/wt.
    i think your squat has the most room for improvement. i hate to sound cliche, but linear progression is probably the fastest way to bring up your squat and i think you could get atleast a month or two of gains on the squat. im a little taller and a little heavier than you and i got my squat up to 400x5.
    your other lifts may need some different programming but some squat focus would be my recommendation.

Sounds good.

I think, as you said, I could stand to gain some quick strength on the squat, so I'll train it with linear progression. I'll probably even hold off deadlifting for a while, if you think that would be wise.

One other thing I'd like to do is increase my chin up count. What kind of mini-routine or programming would you recommend for that? Thanks!