starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3x5 or 5x5?

Default 3x5 or 5x5?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Been switching back and forth between the two with the same exercises. With exam season coming up, I'm back on 3x5 to save time. Am I missing out on any benefits by not doing those 2 extra reps?

3x5s are just fine and usually preferred whether you are taking exams or not.

Do u mean sets

5 reps for 3 sets across (with the same weight) for the press, bench and squat. 5 reps for 1 set on the deadlift and 3 reps for 5 sets for the power clean. These numbers, and the resoning behind them is very clearly stated in The Book, which, from your question, I presume you do not have. Now go buy it.

Sorry for being such a dumbass, allow me to clarify. Most people in my gym follow 'StrongLifts 5x5', which basically uses the exact same exercises save for switching Power Cleans for Barbell Rows. I think because I live in the UK, SS isn't that well known here. I got my copy of SS from a friend who was visiting from California.

Since they've all got very good form and progression, the only difference is those two extra sets. So I wanted to know whether it improves stamina or anything like that, or if it does nothing extra to help strength gains

If you don't pick the right one, you will lose 2.5211566% efficiency in the squat. This is very important.

They both work. t0rment is rather accurate with the differences between the two.

^^Not sure why people think it's funny to give sarcastic responses to honest questions.

I'm just a beginner myself, but I'll try to help as much as I can:

The difference between 3x5 and 5x5 is obviously volume. However, the lower volume of 3x5 will allow you to work at a slightly greater intensity. Still pretty simple. So, is less intensity/more volume better, or is more intensity/less volume better?

This is harder to answer, and a universal answer may not even exist. Some people respond better to volume, and some to intensity.

My advice from my own experience:
    When doing light weights (especially when starting with just the bar, as in Stronglifts), go with 5x5. When it's time to deload on squats for the 2nd time, switch to 3x5 and try to get a little more out of linear progression. Maybe even on the 1st deload, just depends on what you feel like.

If you have other reasons (exams, etc) to try to shorten your workout, there's no problem with 3x5 even at light weights. It's obviously worked for many people. Of course don't switch back to 5x5 after exams at the same weight and expect to keep progressing. Stick with 3x5, or deload (personally I'd stick wtih 3x5).

Advantages of 5x5:
    - volume
    - more chances to practice technique, useful at the very beginning especialy

Advantages of 3x5:
    - intensity
    - shorter workouts
    Last edited by easylifter; 05-02-2011 at 10:33 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by easylifter View Post
    ^^Not sure why people think it's funny to give sarcastic responses to honest questions.
    Because this shit answered and discussed in detail in The Books.
    If you haven't read The Books, you are not allowed to as stupid questions. If you have read them, you don't need to ask stupid questions.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast