Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS...the train has come off the tracks

Default SS...the train has come off the tracks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Wanted some input on my training.

32YOM/5'10"/205

Did 12 weeks of SS, made outstanding progress, no signs of resets.

Got all the way up to 315 x 5 (prior 5rm about 225) before taking a week off for work training. See video below (3rd set)...felt pretty damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmbXtykioOk

Subsequently partied my ass off for a week, came back WEAK (May 15, 2011). Could barely get 285 up. Felt like a ton of bricks.

Spoke with my training partner, we decided to switch to Greyskull LP. Have been doing that for a month, got up to 285 before resetting again today. Diet has been cleaned up a bit, schedule has been hectic, no GOMAD, conditioning added in.

Pretty damn pissed. I think I left SS too early. My partner was on the verge of a reset...I felt like I was going strong and would have kept going if it weren't for the bonehead move of letting lifeshit get in the way and partying my ass off.

Based on what you saw in the video...would you think it would be wise to finish out my LP on SS? I think I can make it to 350 on my worksets on squats GSLP is a good program...but I think I left something in the tank with my SS LP...would you suggest going back and finishing what I started with SS? Reset weights? GOMAD?

Thanks for any feedback.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 06-21-2011 at 07:21 PM.

If I read this correctly, you only took a week off training. There is no way you lost 30lbs on your squat in a week, so I think this block is more mental than anything, making the choice of program inconsequential.

The squats on the video look fine... doesn't look like 5rm even so unless you have reason to think otherwise you prob could do more from there.

on your ton of bricks comeback set had you done a good number of wu sets to get there? did you try it again the next workout?

if you're at 285 now and go back to 3x5 you'd be back to 315 in two weeks and it prob wouldn't even feel that hard. (as long as you eat and sleep)

Yeah...the 315 x 5 in the video was pretty damn easy. After set 3 (in video) I knew I had a few more weeks of LP ahead of me.

Problem was I took a week off and partied my ass off. That is where I screwed up and have struggled to recover since. Up to 315 on SS I was extremely consistent in my training and rest and extremely liberal in my eating. Since I got back my work schedule (firefighter) has been extremely crazy and my caloric intake has been reduced (en lieu of starting GSLP). I think it really is about consistency.

Next few weeks will be crazy schedule wise (vacation, moving, work, etc) and I will have to work to get all my sets in, but once I move into my new place on 7/11 things (lifts, consistency, eating, focus) will get back to firing on all cylinders. Going to give Greyskull LP a fair shake thru August; if I don't get back to 315+ on my worksets I'm coming back to SS. Reality is I probably left SS a little too early and had I not taken that week off I think I'd be repping 350 by now.

The reason I went to GSLP is to ramp up my conditioning for work. I think SS+1-2 prowler sessions a week won't be a problem, if needed.

As Rip says...life shit happens. I think life shit fucked up my program. No biggie. I can unfuck it...it will just take some time and effort.

Remember - pursuit of strength should be a long term goal... reset and get your shit back on track.

I took months off from training and squatted about 10% less than what I squatted when I last trained. Stop over thinking and get back under the bar. Eat, make 10lb jumps back up to where you were, then 5lb jumps. SS is still working for me at 345 3x5. At your height and weight, which are similar to mine, I'd say you can still make good progress on SS.

Quote Originally Posted by t0rment View Post
    If I read this correctly, you only took a week off training. There is no way you lost 30lbs on your squat in a week, so I think this block is more mental than anything, making the choice of program inconsequential.
    I assure you it is not only possible, but quite expected depending on his sleeping and eating habits. I stopped lifting for 6 days, and lost 30 lbs on my squat. Could I do them? Well, if you considered a bastardize, brutal technique squat still doing them, then yes. But, we all know there's a difference between doing 3x5 315 lbs with good form and 3x5 315 lbs with what looks more like a good morning.

The key point, that you might not have experienced, is that nutrition and sleep deprived over a week is CRUCIAL. I ate like crap over a week, probably less than 2000 calories a day, and I slept less than 4 hours. Really, it shouldn't have been surprising when I came back that I couldn't do 30lbs less than my previous work set.

Note, the OP mentions that he partied for a week: dehydration, poor nutrition, erratic sleeping. Any of that could've contributed to his loss in strength, and telling him that it's a mental thing isn't going to speed his recovery.

What the hell did you do during that week?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    What the hell did you do during that week?
    Visited the girlfriend...

starting strength coach development program
    She siphoned out his testosterone, leaving him a withered man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast