Thread of awesome Thread of awesome - Page 391

starting strength gym
Page 391 of 391 FirstFirst ... 291341381389390391
Results 3,901 to 3,906 of 3906

Thread: Thread of awesome

• wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    Background - signed up for a meet at a bodyweight of 216, decided I wanted to compete at 183 mostly because as a person that is a much healthier bodyweight for me. 5 months later... 2 nights before the meet I weighed 190.0 and at weigh-ins I weighed in at exactly 83.0kg (182.9 pounds). Mission 1 accomplished, and this was the primary mission of this meet.

Then I proceeded to lift my ass off going 9 for 9 and setting 4 Oregon state USAPL state records for masters men at 83kg.
    Squats - 430 pounds (sleeves not wraps)
    Bench - 281 pounds
    Deadlifts - 485 pounds
    Total - 1196 pounds

This was my 2nd meet ever. I improved my total by almost 65 pounds and that is with being 13 pounds lighter than I was for that competition, using sleeves instead of wraps, a stiff bar instead of a deadlift bar, and a 2 hour weigh-in instead of a 24hr weigh-in. I couldn't be happier!

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post

This was my 2nd meet ever. I improved my total by almost 65 pounds and that is with being 13 pounds lighter than I was for that competition, using sleeves instead of wraps, a stiff bar instead of a deadlift bar, and a 2 hour weigh-in instead of a 24hr weigh-in. I couldn't be happier!
    You are awesome sir. Well done.

Today was the first day of the sixth week of the program. Deadlift progressed smoothly from 120 kg to 152.5 which I hit five days ago. Squat went from 75 to 125. Today I wasn't feeling great but suddenly decided I had to progress faster. So I added 5.5 kg to my squat. To my surprise it went up easier than the 2.5 kg jump in my previous workout. I then took a 5.5 kg jump on press. It felt so good I pushed out an extra rep on the last set. Onto deadlift, I warmed up with 70 kg, 120 kg, and then I went and did something I had absolutely no right to do. I threw 170 kg on the bar and pulled it for SEVEN repetitions. That equates to 182x5 which a 30 kg jump in 5 days. I don't really know what came over me. I've been thinking about the training scene in kill bill where pai mei tells beatrix it is the board that should fear her hand, and not the other way around, meaning that success in any action is dependent on mental conviction. So, I say, it is the barbell that should fear my back, and not the other way around. I once pulled 505 lb a long time ago, but lost a ton of strength in recent years. I then thought about what Gandalf said to theoden after he threw off the yoke of saruman - "Your hands would remember their old strength better, if they grasped your sword." The barbell is my sword.

I'm just exploring these forums a little more. Last Friday (5/15) I hit 500x1x3 on my squats for the first time. I actually had an off week and was drained the entire time. But the schedule had 500 going onto the bar and i was tired of waiting for it. It was a pretty damn good feeling. I couldn't think about anything else afterwards. My end of the year goal for squats is 500x5+. I think I'm on track to hit it. I'm 5'9 214bw and have a body shaped like a monkey. Short legs, medium torso, and long arms.

I've been training form on my deadlift lately, I think I'll go heavy and test some singles out on that tomorrow.

@Raw Power, congrats on taking some jumps! And a 75lb jump for the week is great, it means you're getting more confident. Keep it up.

What were you doing in the beginning? You were like swinging your arms up and down? lol
    Looked like you could have done another rep!

starting strength coach development program
    Two things to brag about:

1) I killed a pair of sweatpants yesterday. They ripped right along the butt. My total kill count is now two pairs of shorts and one pair of sweatpants.

2) I saw my healthcare provider for the first time since November 2019 this morning. I got "the don't do steroids" warning.