Thread of awesome Thread of awesome - Page 50

starting strength gym
Page 50 of 391 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread of awesome

• wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    Squatted 300 and benched 200 3x5 last night. Awesome.

Liquor tolerance through the roof. Awesome, but expensive, so not so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    It will be awesome if Carlos doesn't kill me after what I posted on his Facebook.
    That was so wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    Squatted 300 and benched 200 3x5 last night. Awesome.

Liquor tolerance through the roof. Awesome, but expensive, so not so awesome.
    Nice work. I too have some awesomness to share:

It was my first rep of my third set on the bench. Everything collapsed and I now had 207.5 lb. (a new max) resting on my chest. Disappointed with myself but refusing to give up, I took another breath and cranked out all FIVE reps. I don't know how I did this -- it really seemed like I had nothing left. While not my prettiest set of five, I am still proud of winning against the bar.

very nice bro, very nice

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    It will be awesome if Carlos doesn't kill me after what I posted on his Facebook.
    I just saw it, and I just loled

After the 1 x 82 kg front squat on Thursday, I hit a PR set of 4 at 75 yesterday.

And, then I just hit 1 x 85 kg.

Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenum6 View Post
    Nice work. I too have some awesomness to share:

It was my first rep of my third set on the bench. Everything collapsed and I now had 207.5 lb. (a new max) resting on my chest. Disappointed with myself but refusing to give up, I took another breath and cranked out all FIVE reps. I don't know how I did this -- it really seemed like I had nothing left. While not my prettiest set of five, I am still proud of winning against the bar.
    That is mighty impressive. Usually, for me, when the gas tank runs dry, that's it. I try my best not to fail though, since I have no spotter and no safeties (garage gym). I failed once and forgot to leave off the collars, and that felt like fighting for my life to get out from under the bar hah. Not awesome.

That is mighty impressive. Usually, for me, when the gas tank runs dry, that's it.
    Thanks. This was definitely abnormal for me. I think my mind tells me to give up before complete failure, so this was an exercise in ignoring the part of me wanting to give up.

I try my best not to fail though, since I have no spotter and no safeties (garage gym). I failed once and forgot to leave off the collars, and that felt like fighting for my life to get out from under the bar hah. Not awesome.
    I train at home as well and usually without a spotter. My rack has spotter arms but I still ask my wife to standby for the bench press in case something crazy happens.

Last week I had a TBone moment when trying to lockout the bench press. My wife racked the bar after I had been struggling (not failing) for a few seconds. I was very annoyed with this after giving her specific instructions to NOT touch the bar unless I ask for help. I did not yell at her though; I just kept repeating: "Do not touch the bar unless I am close to death."
    Last edited by bluenum6; 10-15-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Nice. I'm usually devoid of thought when getting under the bar, so it's always a failure of the physical kind hah. And yeah I'm glad I work out at home, people -love- to curl the bar when I'm benching regardless of what I say, I'm sure once I get to two plates that will stop. It's pretty motivating to have no spotter or safeties though, it's basically do or die.. I'll stop a rep short if I have to though.

Speaking of T-Bone, I want to congratulate her on her PRs but her programming is so foreign to me that it's kind of scary. I guess I should try branching out and learning a little more, but Rip basically lays out your entire training career for you in two books, so you're pretty much good to go after those. Oh god I'm rambling in the awesome PR thread.. not awesome.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenum6 View Post
    Last week I had a TBone moment when trying to lockout the bench press. My wife racked the bar after I had been struggling (not failing) for a few seconds. I was very annoyed with this after giving her specific instructions to NOT touch the bar unless I ask for help. I did not yell at her though; I just kept repeating: "Do not touch the bar unless I am close to death."
    Hahaha. I will say that I don't like having a spotter for squats, as you witnessed in Atlanta, but I freak about bench. Still, I might chop someone's hands off for touching my bar. Might.

Speaking of T-Bone, I want to congratulate her on her PRs but her programming is so foreign to me that it's kind of scary. I guess I should try branching out and learning a little more, but Rip basically lays out your entire training career for you in two books, so you're pretty much good to go after those.
    Unless Rip suggests that you switch to heavy singles six days a week and you listen to him, which is what I did. It depends on your goals. There's a reason that Rip and Jim like Bulgarian programming for weightlifting.