Thread of awesome Thread of awesome - Page 51

starting strength gym
Page 51 of 391 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread of awesome

• wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    Heavy singles six days a week works much better for Olympic weightlifting than for powerlifting.

This is probably due to a) lower absolute weight (I could probably press 90% six days a week but not deadlift) and b) little or no eccentric component.

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    Heavy singles six days a week works much better for Olympic weightlifting than for powerlifting.

This is probably due to a) lower absolute weight (I could probably press 90% six days a week but not deadlift) and b) little or no eccentric component.
    Well, I definitely don't know what would work for competitive powerlifting. And, for the slow lifts, I wasn't doing every lift six days a week. I was pressing twice a week and deadlifting once a week. I think i started off with squats three times a week and front squats twice a week, but I would have to go back and check. Snatch and clean and jerk was every day from the beginning when I switched to six days a week.

At this point, I squat and front squat six days a week, which I never could have imagined doing before. It's just much different volume than SS or TM. So, I'm not sure the eccentric component or absolute weight has as much to do with it if you are conscious of volume and ease your way into it. Deadlifts are different in terms of recovery, though.
    Last edited by Tamara Reynolds; 10-15-2011 at 01:26 PM.

I always wondered why anybody would choose weightlifting over powerlifting. Than I thought a little harder, and weightlifters actually throw weights around, whereas powerlifters move larger weights very slowly. That earned WL a few points in my book. Plus, I'm pretty sure you can jerk a higher weight than one could press, and possibly push press, but then again my knowledge is.. non-existant.

Wow, maybe this could have went unsaid, reading it over.

I got a couple of things to add. I hit a 550lb DL today! I was a little off today (slow on squat and DL), but I still was able to get that. I fooked up my squat PR though. :-( I have some vids of my 500 and 550 DL that I will add to my log tonight or tomorrow morning.

I also saw some amazing benching today. I 20yr old 165lb girl benched over 500, and Rob Luyando made an attempt at 1015 (but missed). After they loaded the bar, they had to change the rack height (since they forgot). As some of the guys were lifting the one side, the weights started slide off the other end... someone forgot the clip on that side. Out of nowhere, this short, stocky PL sprints up there and saves it before it all falls. He was fast! Everyone was saying he was like a gator in a 50' sprint.

I have some vids of those lifts too. I will try to get them up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I 20yr old 165lb girl benched over 500, and Rob Luyando made an attempt at 1015 (but missed).
    Multiply or I'll kill myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    Easily recognized as the part that lets you pick a girl up like a six pack.
    Dying.

I made spamworld fuck off, at least for the day. Sorry Callador, this eclipses your 550 DL PR.

Kidding, awesome work man!

Quote Originally Posted by Marotta View Post
    Multiply or I'll kill myself.
    Yeah, they were doing it multiply. It is still a tremendous amount of weight to hold and lockout. I know some people here think that shirts work like hydraulic lifts... in reality they don't. There was an old guy in the group that benched 815 in a single-ply katana shirt. He was really strong. Most of the guys (and gal) were from Michigan. They just wanted to train at Rudy's, since he makes most of their equipment (Overkill).

Thanks Skipbeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Yeah, they were doing it multiply. It is still a tremendous amount of weight to hold and lockout. I know some people here think that shirts work like hydraulic lifts... in reality they don't. There was an old guy in the group that benched 815 in a single-ply katana shirt. He was really strong. Most of the guys (and gal) were from Michigan. They just wanted to train at Rudy's, since he makes most of their equipment (Overkill).

Thanks Skipbeat!
    Oh, of course, but if that was raw/single ply it would make me look sooooooo bad.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Marotta View Post
    Oh, of course, but if that was raw/single ply it would make me look sooooooo bad.
    Nah. I have faith you could hold your own at the Power Pit! :-) Actually, I was suprised how much that one guy was getting out of his single ply Katana shirt. It had a closed back and everything. Some of the single ply stuff must be getting pretty good.