starting strength gym

Thread: Microload, triples, or intermediate?

Default Microload, triples, or intermediate?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys. I'm nearing the end of my standard LP on press and BP. I have already deloaded these once, and I can tell the next stall is very soon. Other lifts are still going up nicely. Stats:

150 lbs bodyweight, 5'8"
    Press 140lbs 3x5
    Bench 205lbs 3x5

I have a home gym with calibrated plates, with potential minimum increments of 0.5lbs. Currently on upper body I've been progressing in 2lbs increments. My question is, when these stall again, which change(s) would make the most sense?

A. Begin using increments of 1lb
    B. Switch to triples
    C. Switch to intermediate programming on these

Thanks for any advice. I am also increasing my calorie intake, but I don't think that's going to prevent a stall this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I take this to mean I need to eat more and not modify the program until I weigh more. I've already gained 40lbs if you can believe it. Eventually this decision will need to be made though...

Quote Originally Posted by BigHig View Post
    I take this to mean I need to eat more and not modify the program until I weigh more. I've already gained 40lbs if you can believe it. Eventually this decision will need to be made though...
    Check out Nick Delgadillo's video about bench press and press programming. Just gain weight as fast as you can manage and modify the program ONE variable at a time when strictly necessary (see the articles above). Your numbers are still pretty impressive for your bodyweight.