starting strength gym
Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: today's post on 70sbig

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Perhaps I am the outlier. I have been around gyms, mostly as a 90's small bro, for about a decade, and I have never seen PEDs, heard people talking about them in the locker room, been asked where to get them, been offered, or even heard rumors that someone else does them. This includes five years of frequenting military gyms where there is a high concentration of dudes that would be into that sort of thing (and a steroid drug test is not a big fear in the military). To be clear though, I do not retract my former statement.

The people who use roids at my gym are the typical curl bros who don't lift heavy(relatively). They walk around with low bodyfat and huge biceps. Their forearms are thicker than their lower legs. So from my limited experience the effects can be pretty obvious. I bet 99.9% of the people going to gyms don't have the patience to lean down naturally.

Last edited by Tom Narvaez; 02-19-2012 at 10:22 PM.

so what exactly is the point? that people who are on steroids aren't qualified to give programming advice because steroids eliminate the need for smart programming? because that would be pretty funny. in that case, why read PP, might as well just take some steroids and go into the gym without a plan. why bother to understand adaptation, nutrition, recovery etc, if steroids make all that unnecessary?

Already stated earlier, but restated for emphasis:

Isn't the recent post contradictory to "70's Big"?

It all seems a little silly. He's a kid, finding his way, he has some interesting points, some not so interesting points, and some not very correct points. I figure you get what you pay for, caveat emptor. I can read through his site, and expect more of the same in the book, some interesting points, some not so interesting points, and some not very correct points.

Someone posted a video of Wendler stating something along the lines of the internet being the problem with weight training - and I tend to agree. Anyone can present themselves as an expert, anyone can post anything with authority, and we can believe or doubt. I think the answer is to take it all in and apply it to your own training - learning as you go.

1. Time under the bar is far more valuable than a website's recommendations.
    2. Taking recommendations and trying them out for yourself under the bar is even better (unless utterly retarded in their assertions).
    3. Knowing the cause of the problem or benefit vice nitpicking symptoms (BF, form, program flaws, etc), is the best.

With the 70's Big site, I don't see a lot of #3, and I feel like I'm watching a lot of #2, while he has a fair amount of #1. I don't get the sense he has the knowledge, experience, and understanding that John Broz, Rip, Wendler, Steel, and other folks I would consider to be authorities have, in fact, I am personally dismayed that he continually makes reference to his Level II CrossFit cert - on a "70's Big" site. I suppose that is neither here nor there - however it seems (to me) to have little to do with credibility needed for a "70's Big" site, that seems to be anything but.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    He's a kid, finding his way......

......I don't get the sense he has the knowledge, experience, and understanding that John Broz, Rip, Wendler, Steel, and other folks I would consider to be authorities have.
    you just "no shit" yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    in fact, I am personally dismayed that he continually makes reference to his Level II CrossFit cert - on a "70's Big" site. I suppose that is neither here nor there - however it seems (to me) to have little to do with credibility needed for a "70's Big" site, that seems to be anything but.
    there's an overwhelmingly large crossfit audience on 70s big. Is he supposed to alienate his audience because he doesn't coach crossfit anymore?

i'd pay to hear some of the advice Rip was giving out when he was 25 years old....my guess is it was probably a lot of the same shit Bill Starr was teaching him (or at least whoever was teaching him at that age), which he obviously no longer teaches, or should i say he now "contradicts"

as i said before, if you took 70sbig too seriously, it's your own fault. It's clear it's the website of a coaches first few years, and NOBODY has the same knowledge, NOR the methods of teaching, they have in their first 3 years as they do at the end of their career.

Quote Originally Posted by brianrichard View Post
    there's an overwhelmingly large crossfit audience on 70s big. Is he supposed to alienate his audience because he doesn't coach crossfit anymore?
    Of course not, but CrossFit Level II and "70's Big" are diametrically opposed, have been from the jump. It's a little strange to me.

a comment from someone on 70sbig is it MEH? Sounds like him
    oldmansquatting Says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 2:02 pm

@Criedthefox
    Shocking.

@Justin:
    Calling grown women “girls” is a lot like white men in the south calling grown men of African descent “boys”. It’s disrespectful, demeaning and patronizing.

Hate to throw your blog into a PC debate, but I’m tired of the overtly sexist crap that gets passed over as OK here– not necessary by you, but in the comments by the man/boys like criedthefox. (and yes, I do mean to be patronizing, demeaning and disrespectful). Even though many of the women that post here seem to turn a blind eye, I see no good reason to do so because frankly, it’s *not* OK.

One good place to change is to stop referring to adult females as girls, just the implicit message of that is BS.

I just miss when 70sBig was focused on the big guy or kid that wants to be big. I will be forever thankful to that stage of it because it introduced me to real lifting in an entertaining manner. It had kids a little younger than me lifting big numbers and told you how to do it too. I followed the program and am pretty similar in strength to them now (albeit taller and fatter). Though it wasn't his program. He was just forwarding along the program from Rippetoe.

It has become more and more focused on what it was previously apposed with every passing day. Justin clearly realized who his audience was / could be and changed the message he was putting out. In the end, he'd rather lose the still minority real lifters and pander to the crowd of crossfitters and bodybuilders. From writing posts about eating icecream smothered in magic shell and a huge cheeseburger to writing about how to keep your diet clean and paleo. He knows he has a degree in this and if this doesn't make money he has no other options.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Guts View Post
    Justin clearly realized who his audience was / could be and changed the message he was putting out.
    I think you guys are giving him way too much credit. I think HIS goals/views changed...and they just happen to coincide with another type of audience.

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast