starting strength gym
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: today's post on 70sbig

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Sure, why not. I'm not intersted in arguing semantics over something that is really unimportant.
    I love how "arguing semantics" has become the new cop out for "I said something that's stupid on its face and I just don't care to admit it because I'm a pussy."

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    Wait, this is coming from someone who's actually been to a powerlifting competition, right?
    Why? Do you feel that it may be necessary to actually see a powerlifter in order to make a sweeping statement about powerlifters?

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Why? Do you feel that it may be necessary to actually see a powerlifter in order to make a sweeping statement about powerlifters?
    But I have seen a powerlifter! Aren't they all three hundred pounds like that Benni guy?

I love how "arguing semantics" has become the new cop out for "I said something that's stupid on its face and I just don't care to admit it because I'm a pussy."
    Because it's much easier to be imprecise with your language and espouse idiocy than it is to be careful about what you say, ensuring it is true to your point of view. Then admit when you're wrong when provided evidence to the contrary.

I can't be sure what I meant to say because I don't know what these word things mean. However, I am absolutely certain that what I did mean to say was correct regardless of the words that I used.

No, but you're way too predictable. You focused on the fact that I said "strength at all costs" as opposed to saying "strength as the primary goal" and you completely overlooked the point I was making.

For all intents and purposes they mean the same thing. However, you will come back saying how it doesn't mean the same thing and I just really don't care.

If you'd like to discuss the actual point I made then that's fine, I'd be happy to do that.

If you'd like to discuss the actual point I made then that's fine, I'd be happy to do that.
    No, it's stupid shit like that that creates msinghs. So, I'd rather focus on you saying stupid shit that's factually incorrect and is likely to be latched onto by some weak individual as an excuse for their mistakes.

But, if you'd like to continue arguing semantics when it's not applicable, I just don't really care. But lol @

"strength at all costs" as opposed to saying "strength as the primary goal"

and

For all intents and purposes they mean the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guts View Post
    I just miss when 70sBig was focused on the big guy or kid that wants to be big. I will be forever thankful to that stage of it because it introduced me to real lifting in an entertaining manner. It had kids a little younger than me lifting big numbers and told you how to do it too. I followed the program and am pretty similar in strength to them now (albeit taller and fatter). Though it wasn't his program. He was just forwarding along the program from Rippetoe.

It has become more and more focused on what it was previously apposed with every passing day. Justin clearly realized who his audience was / could be and changed the message he was putting out. In the end, he'd rather lose the still minority real lifters and pander to the crowd of crossfitters and bodybuilders. From writing posts about eating icecream smothered in magic shell and a huge cheeseburger to writing about how to keep your diet clean and paleo. He knows he has a degree in this and if this doesn't make money he has no other options.
    Don't you think it would be better if someone presented accurate information in an entertaining manner? I really do understand that it's nice to be in the company of people who lift heavy and eat by the plate full rather than by the "block"; that's one of the reasons this forum is such a nice change of pace from sites like BB.com. But you don't need to mock people who don't share your priorities and give out advice that's simply inaccurate to do that. Your lifting site doesn't have to include Epic Meal Time to be engaging.

And I don't really excuse ignorance in this area. I have less access to information than him -- I train largely alone, am not plugged in to serious figures in the training community, and never studied the stuff in college. Anyone with a dial-up modem or a library card has access to all of the same information I do, and I've know the 70's big spiel to be bunk since day one.

No, it's stupid shit like that that creates msinghs. So, I'd rather focus on you saying stupid shit that's factually incorrect and is likely to be latched onto by some weak individual as an excuse for their mistakes.

But, if you'd like to continue arguing semantics when it's not applicable, I just don't really care. But lol @

"strength at all costs" as opposed to saying "strength as the primary goal"

and

For all intents and purposes they mean the same thing.
    Ok I'll try to be sincere with you and see where it gets.

After I made my post that you disagreed with you just responded with "what?". I explained myself further and you ridiculed me.

Can you tell me what I said that you think is wrong and what you actually think is right? I'd rather learn, or at least hear your point of view and then make an educated decision, than to be chastized for saying something. At least tell me what you think instead of just hurling insults. You seem to get in these fights a lot and it probably wouldn't always devolve into insults if you actually gave some information or a rebuttal along with your usual insults. All you do is put people on the defensive and then no one gets anything out of it.

If I agree with you I'll tell you and say I was wrong. I have no issue with being wrong, I've admitted mistakes many times on these boards before. I don't come here claiming to know anything, I'm just here to absorb as much as I can.
    Last edited by Corrie; 02-21-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Of course it was bunk since day 1. Justin was saying you should try to be 70s big (275+ for guys over 6 feet), but he himself was never trying to do that. He always kept his own bodyfat low (easier for him because he is a pretty genetically gifted dude, but he still avoided getting fat). I don't really think his own training really changed that much over the years, but at some point I think he just realized he needed to earn money if he was spending so much time on this site, but he had no PRODUCT to sell if he was telling everyone to eat everything in site. He was making no money by espousing that belief (which he himself didn't even follow), so he switched things up and is trying to make money now through books like Fit and through consultations and seminars. He also needs to have a market to get paid, so he makes sure to say he's down with crossfit (since thats where the majority of his money is going to come from). I don't blame him. Hes just trying to get that money.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok I'll try to be sincere with you and see where it gets.

After I made my post that you disagreed with you just responded with "what?". I explained myself further and you ridiculed me.

Can you tell me what I said that you think is wrong and what you actually think is right? I'd rather learn, or at least hear your point of view and then make an educated decision, than to be chastized for saying something. At least tell me what you think instead of just hurling insults. You seem to get in these fights a lot and it probably wouldn't always devolve into insults if you actually gave some information or a rebuttal along with your usual insults. All you do is put people on the defensive and then no one gets anything out of it.

If I agree with you I'll tell you and say I was wrong. I have no issue with being wrong, I've admitted mistakes many times on these boards before. I don't come here claiming to know anything, I'm just here to absorb as much as I can.
    There's nothing to say if you think "strength at all costs" and "strength as a primary goal" are "for all intents and purposes the same thing". I'm not here to give you a middle school education.

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast