starting strength gym
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: today's post on 70sbig

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Tom Nuaverez
    lol, this is pretty representative of your shitty responses in this thread in general. You don't actually check any of your facts. Arnold 1/8 squatted, the guys on 70sbig started from true novice to 575 miss in one month, etc. etc.

It is "important to me" to know the truth. I know people who have done steroids. You apparently do not. I KNOW what it actually does. I'm not just speculating. You are.

Quote Originally Posted by Catatonic View Post
    Go back and read everything I already wrote about AC.

http://www.70sbig.com/ac/2011/01/

This is the oldest entry on AC's blog. This was back when he was doing Texas Method. I think its safe to assume that if pulling 560 was a PR during TM programming - which began well before this blog post - he wasn't pulling 575 as a "near miss" after linear progression. In fact, 590 was ACs recent PR in the deadlift.... 1.5 to 2 years after LP, I think.
    Oh for ...

Here's the link again, there was a video there too as you can see:, October 2009:

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2009/10/video-quickie/

He comments under the posthe'd been linearly progressing for 5 months, and in the post Justin Lascek lists his numbers and there was a video of his near miss of 575lbs back in 2009 when it was posted.

Now, maybe he took some time off, maybe he was injured, maybe he couldn't afford steroids for a while, I honestly don't know, but there's the link so you can't argue with what I wrote above.

Now hopefully this can be my last post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Sure, I agree. But he makes it sound like dirty bulking is bad, PERIOD.
    This continues the 100% agreement streak with Carlos. I think it's very, very important that we're both honest and accurate when we talk about what people should eat. As a community, I think we've failed at this.

It is not incredibly complicated, but there is enough to it that someone in a position to dispense advice should take the time to add some nuance to his guidance. In the context of this thread and the current topic, I think the previously-espoused position of 70's big and everyone who reposts Dave Tate's story about eating a pizza with a bottle of olive oil every night are doing a disservice to that discussion. That's not what a good diet looks like for someone trying to gain weight. But it's also true that for someone who really does have a hard time gaining muscle and weight in general, eating some shitty food to get in the calories is an option that should be on the table. KFC was part of my diet when I did SS and I went from a twig to something resembling an adult male without a lot in the way of flab. It's just a little ridiculous to stake out an extreme -- and counter-factual -- position on this topic. I talked to Johnny Pain while he was still here and his position was very much one of moderation; you need to eat a truck load but make it nutrient dense, relatively healthy foods and you'll come out of a big streak of weight gain looking just fine.

Anyway, it's good to see that they're taking a more reasonable position on eating. I hope the pendulum doesn't swing too far in the other direction where dirty bulking is now as taboo as salads used to be, but I suspect it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    I'd even go as far as saying the MAJORITY of males in your average Gold's Gymesque place will try juice at one point or another.
    That statement may have destroyed any shred of credibility I thought you were desperately grasping.

Quote Originally Posted by william jackson View Post
    That statement may have destroyed any shred of credibility I thought you were desperately grasping.
    huh? at least here in Rio, this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by william jackson View Post
    I think it's a clear exaggeration. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be including the guys that come in after work and do cardio, or just do machines for a few months. In other words, what I think he meant to say is that the majority of 90's Small douches and wannabe bodybuilders that actually stick to this for long enough, or workout hard enough, try some type of illegal supplement.

I think his point is pretty valid, even if it's a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    I think it's a clear exaggeration. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be including the guys that come in after work and do cardio, or just do machines for a few months. In other words, what I think he meant to say is that the majority of 90's Small douches and wannabe bodybuilders that actually stick to this for long enough, or workout hard enough, try some type of illegal supplement.
    Yep, this. In my experience, for the demographic that you just described, almost everyone plays around with the stuff eventually. At a place like Gold's, it is really easy to get. There are other options, like prohormones, as well.

Just so we're clean, he's not saying that at one given time half the guys at a given gym are currently juicing. He's saying that they have at some point in their life taken steroids. Maybe it was when they were in high-school, they took the wrong shit and got titties or a limp dick, and never did it again. This seems reasonable enough.

In an imaginary world, where I successfully grasped onto the little credibility I had remaining, I have a friend who deals at a large gym like this. Let me tell you, it is a lucrative business for him and he never runs out of clientele.

Yeah, definitely Carlos. Some guys also get infected because they don't know how to sterilize, get bad sides, etc. etc.

starting strength coach development program
    Most of my friends who lift or lifted at some point took steroids. I'd say about 75%. Me and my current training partners are the exception more than the rule.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast