starting strength gym
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: today's post on 70sbig

Default today's post on 70sbig

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It's about taking shorter rest periods. Anyway, in the midst of all that Justin drops what struck me as a curious nugget:

"Guys using traditional Texas Method templates will be the first to pipe up and say, “But five sets of five takes almost an hour.” You’re right; they do. That’s part of the reason that five sets squats aren’t used in anything I program (and strength increases are much better without that volume — read more here)."

The link is to his Texas Method e-book. Anyone know what he's talking about here? I thought a big volume day with sets across was the sine qua non of the Texas Method. What's his book say to do for volume day?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronan the Barbarian View Post
    It's about taking shorter rest periods. Anyway, in the midst of all that Justin drops what struck me as a curious nugget:

"Guys using traditional Texas Method templates will be the first to pipe up and say, “But five sets of five takes almost an hour.” You’re right; they do. That’s part of the reason that five sets squats aren’t used in anything I program (and strength increases are much better without that volume — read more here)."

The link is to his Texas Method e-book. Anyone know what he's talking about here? I thought a big volume day with sets across was the sine qua non of the Texas Method. What's his book say to do for volume day?
    Interesting. He must configure the volume day differently. Rob Is has read it, I'll ask him to comment here, if he has time.

Uh, I only cherry picked it, but that seems like a strange comment. I skimmed the basic bit about the basic TM I read in details how he recommends transitioning from LP into it and the read the bit about specific modifications on which I was interested in hearing his opinions, but it certainly seemed to me that 5X5 was the crux of it.

To paraphrase what some pussy with the conditioning of an obese five-year-old starving asian girl said to me when I suggested holding rest times on volume day to 3 minutes or less between sets ...

"That Justin must not be lifting heavy if he doesn't need as much rest as I do!"

ROFL bawahahahaha!

Edit to add: just bustin' chops, don't make it a rapper grudge, dude

He has different setups for volume/recovery/intensity in there, but one of them is still the 5x5. So it's a bit of a stretch, I'd say, to claim that he never programs 5x5, and you can see it in his e-book.

That said, it's a good book, I'd say almost essential if you are going to wrestle the beast that is TM.

I'm doing a setup I got from John Sheaffer currently, and my sessions are just below 1h, and it feels pretty awesome, and strength increase is quite acceptable as well. So Justin isn't the only one that preaches short(er) sessions.

That said, from what I've understood of the "science" the whole "keep it under 1 hour, or you'll go catabolic!" is BS.

Quote Originally Posted by algunos hombre View Post
    Edit to add: just bustin' chops, don't make it a rapper grudge, dude

Quote Originally Posted by Danish Viking View Post
    ... I'm doing a setup I got from John Sheaffer currently, and my sessions are just below 1h, and it feels pretty awesome, and strength increase is quite acceptable as well. So Justin isn't the only one that preaches short(er) sessions.

That said, from what I've understood of the "science" the whole "keep it under 1 hour, or you'll go catabolic!" is BS.
    I'm OK with the conclusion that "anabolic window" timelines and "total-body hormonal response" arguments for training durations are crapola. Local muscular and overall cardio responses rule.

To me, as mentioned on the TM thread, the purpose of limiting rest periods between sets is twofold: first, I've got other shit to do, and second, there's a conditioning benefit.

Apparently I'm not alone in finding the ability to progress in strength has been good with limited rest ...

Jesus H. Christ on a fucking Popsicle stick, folks! TM volume day weights are somewhere between your 3rd and 4th warmup set weights on ID! Three minutes is all you need for rest between those ...

(repeat from other thread, 3' on volume worksets, 5' on intensity worksets, 5' to 7' on 3x5 worksets, anything much more than that and you're either loafing or you need conditioning work)

I'll come out and say it: that's a fairly silly post by Justin. It don't care two shits about the hormonal response, it's been shown time and time again that it's irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I'll come out and say it: that's a fairly silly post by Justin. It don't care two shits about the hormonal response, it's been shown time and time again that it's irrelevant.
    Yeah, the post before that one also had the hormonal response bullshit (3rd paragraph from the end). Pretty sad for a post called "Sick of the 'bro' ". Seems to be a theme Justin is hitting this week.

starting strength coach development program
    The info he presents from Pasquale is even more flawed in its application. The observation of the endocrine profile may be correct, if dubiously relevant, but they are not making any attempt to take volume into account when discussing the length of the program. He talks about being "drained and devoid of any life force" at the end of a two hour workout, but he could just as easily, and probably more appropriately talk about the effects of trying to finish your 18th, 19th and 20th work set of the session. Not that I advocate them, but I'm damn sure if I decided to take 15 mins between work sets on my 5 sets of squats and a further 30 mins before deciding to start doing cleans I woudlnt be more tired than I had used more typical rest period

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast