starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twice a week set-up

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Thanks Andy. This gives me some ideas of how to set up a program to fit my needs. I could do this in 2 days or split it out into 3 or 4 if I am pressed for time.

Thanks again for this free resource.

Hi,
    at the end I'm going to try this:

week 1

day 1
    Bench intensity
    weighted chins
    kroc row

day 2
    squat intensity
    press volume
    chins volume

week 2
    day 1

deadlift intensity
    bench volume
    kroc row

day 2

squat volume
    press intensity
    weighted chins intensity

Intensity (heavy loads, medium-low sets)
    volume (medium loads high sets)

I've just started and it seems good...

Thanks a lot!

Hi Andy,

I had to switch to a twice per week setup recently. I've followed your suggestion to try to mimic my 4 day split setup I did before, as closely as I could, I've regressed on the press though, and I'm often beat up after the volume day. I'd like to hear your opinion on my current setup, and see what could be adjusted to make it a bit better.

So what I do now:

Monday (Volume)
    Press 5x3 + 1 back-off 10-12
    Squat 3x5 (around 75 percent) + 1 back-off 10-12
    Weighted Chins 10x1 / 5x2
    Dips 2xF

Thursday (Intensity)

Press 5x1 / Bench 5x1 alternated weekly
    Squat 1x1 + 2x2 back-off
    Deadlift (recently stalled on a single, tried to do 4 on a weight that I easily had for a triple, but to no success)
    Chins 3xF

Should I still keep two relatively heavy squats in this setup?
    What tweak would you suggest to do everything beltless?

I'll relocate soon and will be limited in my initial luggage, and will have to probably train in globo-gyms until I find something decent. The only exercises where I use a belt right now are the intensity squats and the top weight deadlifts.

I have a feeling, that I can keep a good extension on the deadlift regardless of the belt though, and I really only need it on the heavy squats.

Should I do some light squats on the deadlift day, or do maybe sets of 10, that I could do beltless, or some other squat setup alltogether? I think either way I would do them at the end, after deadlifts.

Sorry for the long-ass post, I'll highlight the questions, and thanks in advance!

1) Might have to drop the 10-12 rep back off on the squat. Those are fucking taxing, and not sure if you can come back and do heavy singles later in the week.
    2) I would suggest that you not work beltless
    3) Squat: one day of 5's, one day of singles. If that doesn't work, then do a heavy day of 5's and a light day of 5's.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks,

I've just recently added the back-off set of 10, had some regression before I introduced those. But good to know your opinion, thanks!

It is what I feared about the belt. You're suggesting this because of the injury potential, or the reduced workload? Today I did a near PR deadlift without a belt, and it felt strong and solid. I DO need it on the heaviest squats though.

I'll do something light then for the second squat workout, since I won't have a belt for a while, and keep a moderate 3x5 beltless, just like I do now. I hope I won't lose too much strength in it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12