starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: deadlift volume using 531

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am running 531 BBB with volume deads on SQ day and vice versa. I found that cutting volume for SQs and DLs to 5x8 kills me just as badly as doing 5x10, so I use 5x8 for that programming.

I also found that I had to start at about 40% of my training max, and even that crippled me for the first three weeks or so. I had not done any volume based training since high school, and my system needed time to adjust. I have worked my way up over three cycles to about 60% on volume sets, aiming to get to 70%.

Slow and steady wins the race. Listen to what your body is telling you and make adjustments to your program. These programs are not written in stone, and you have to be able to adjust them to your needs, if you want to self-coach.
    Last edited by Str8shutr; 02-20-2014 at 09:38 AM.

This is a great thread. I've been having similar issues. Perhaps you guys could give me some advice on what I've fumbled together. For reference I moved from Texas Method to 5/3/1 early december, I only up my training max 2lb or so every cycle because I feel I'm pretty advanced for the program, plus I'm on a diet because Texas Method left me with a fair bit of fat. Going up slowly like this also seems to negate the need for a recovery week, currently anyway, which works well for me personally. My previous max on the DL before I switched over was 505x5.

I too had tried DL weekly, but since I'm following the Full Body routine (squatting three times a week), the lower back work was too much.

I have decided to do all the DL workouts in one cycle and then miss the first 5's session on the first week of the next cycle out. Then I'd do another 3 weeks in a row and leave the 3's session out, then another 3 weeks and leave the 5/3/1 session out. I'd do a joker set or two after each workout, but nothing else.

The rest of my L-back work's done from squatting, maxing at a triple of 90% training max on a wednesday, and a single at 95% on a friday. This seems to work for me. In fact I think taking the DL work out entirely and focusing on bringing up my squat might be the better idea. It would feel so odd not including the DL however and I can't bare to do that.

Training max Squat - 530lbs
    DL - 510
    Last edited by Aslin; 02-22-2014 at 11:05 AM.

personally i am going to try running my deadlift like a bunch of the guys were doing it sheiko style only no partials and the percents will be wk. 1-3
    50% x3
    60% x3
    70% x3 x2
    80% x3 x5
    weeks 1-3

50x3
    60x3
    70x3x2
    80x3x3
    85x2x3
    week 4

each 4 weeks you add 5 pounds to your training max there was some guys pulling 600+ just using that scheme

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    personally i am going to try running my deadlift like a bunch of the guys were doing it sheiko style only no partials and the percents will be wk. 1-3
    50% x3
    60% x3
    70% x3 x2
    80% x3 x5
    weeks 1-3

50x3
    60x3
    70x3x2
    80x3x3
    85x2x3
    week 4

each 4 weeks you add 5 pounds to your training max there was some guys pulling 600+ just using that scheme
    Hey man, have you got any links so I can read more about this programming? Thanks.
    Last edited by Aslin; 02-23-2014 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spells

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f49...95/index6.html

check out this guys log and there is a few more on different websites ill have to find them

yeah i dont think its enough either! I have people do more back off sets after they finish the top one!

I've been doing 531 for a while now, and I find I have to do less volume on the deads than with other lifts. I do FSL but instead of 5x10, 5x8, 5x5, I do 5x5, 4x5, 3x5 (for weeks 1, 2, and 3, respectively). This may have something to do with the fact that I train the deadlift with singles (so, my work set is as many singles as possible with anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes of rest in between). I think this allows me to push my training max higher than I would be able to otherwise, and as a result I can't do as much volume. Anyway, it works for me.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm a firm believer in more volume for deadlifts, I usually incorporate back off sets along with a top set of 5, 3 or 1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12