starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deadlift volume using 531

Default deadlift volume using 531

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Who finds that the deadlift volume on 531 or its variants too much to handle? I mean SS and TM only have you do one set but 531 has you doing 2 pretty heavy sets then a max rep set then you can do jokers and FSL. Anybody have any success doing all of that deadlift work?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Who finds that the deadlift volume on 531 or its variants too much to handle? I mean SS and TM only have you do one set but 531 has you doing 2 pretty heavy sets then a max rep set then you can do jokers and FSL. Anybody have any success doing all of that deadlift work?
    I did have lots of success with it, but I always felt like my back needed more recovery than I was providing it.

I've since switched to a setup where I only pull 1 heavy set of deadlifts once a week. It's sort of the chromosomally-challenged, bastard child of 5/3/1 and HLM. You can check out my log or shoot me a PM if you want more details.

I personally don't use FSL or BBB with deadlifts - after I do my main sets I usually switch to a variation such as snatch grip deads or RDLs or something similar for assistance work. That being said, I never had an issue with the three main 5/3/1 sets and deadlifting.

To me, the first two sets of 5/3/1 are more like "warm-up" sets - they should set you up for a great work set rather than drain you. Yes they are important (Wendler wouldn't have put them in otherwise - something he has stated in writing multiple times), and you should do them with effort (just like warm-up sets with any program), but they shouldn't be so heavy that you find yourself grinding or worrying if you're going to miss. If the first two sets really are that hard, you should lower your Training Max. This is one of the few "main lift" modifications you can do that wouldn't constitute YNDTP.

Agree with above. With 531 I only consider the last set as a work set. The other sets are just focused work ups. The volume is actually low. Pulling just once a week is not a lot to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyPrieto View Post
    I personally don't use FSL or BBB with deadlifts - after I do my main sets I usually switch to a variation such as snatch grip deads or RDLs or something similar for assistance work. That being said, I never had an issue with the three main 5/3/1 sets and deadlifting.

To me, the first two sets of 5/3/1 are more like "warm-up" sets - they should set you up for a great work set rather than drain you. Yes they are important (Wendler wouldn't have put them in otherwise - something he has stated in writing multiple times), and you should do them with effort (just like warm-up sets with any program), but they shouldn't be so heavy that you find yourself grinding or worrying if you're going to miss. If the first two sets really are that hard, you should lower your Training Max. This is one of the few "main lift" modifications you can do that wouldn't constitute YNDTP.
    If you use the "fresher" template, I agree, but if you use "heavier," the submaximal weights are still pretty significant.

It's worked fine for me so far. I've even managed the BBB sets. I do a few sets sumo though to switch it up.

I did 5/3/1 for the first time right after SS. I plugged in my 1RM as estimated by my 5RM from SS, big mistake. I could not handle the increased deadlifting volume at all. I had to significantly lower my deadlifting TM to get it to work right. Also, if you do the BBB variation a deload week every 4th is a must otherwise your deadlift problems will be exacerbated.

Quote Originally Posted by Notrhwoods View Post
    I did 5/3/1 for the first time right after SS. I plugged in my 1RM as estimated by my 5RM from SS, big mistake. I could not handle the increased deadlifting volume at all. I had to significantly lower my deadlifting TM to get it to work right. Also, if you do the BBB variation a deload week every 4th is a must otherwise your deadlift problems will be exacerbated.
    I went to 531 after SS. I used 90% of my 1RM as estimated by my 5RM from SS. The 90% of max as recommended by Jim. It worked fine. I also did FSL.

I am currently doing BBB for all lifts including deadlift and have had no recovery problems. I use the "heavier" calculations, so all three final sets on intensity day are fairly heavy. For my volume sets, I'm using 60% of 90% of my tested 1RM. I believe the program recommends going up to 70% but I think that would be too much for me on deadlift. I do volume deadlift on Tuesday and intensity on Friday.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate7out View Post
    I went to 531 after SS. I used 90% of my 1RM as estimated by my 5RM from SS. The 90% of max as recommended by Jim. It worked fine. I also did FSL.
    I agree that if it may not be a problem if you are totally honest with yourself about your 1RM and take off the full 10% to get your TM. I know I was a lot dumber about programming when I was just coming off SS and used too high of a TM at first.

Wafflebox... I hope you are eating to grow while doing BBB. I did BBB with the full 5x10 deads for about 3 months and I wasn't eating to grow. By the end of it I felt crippled and admitted to myself that my diet and program were not in sync.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast