starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: training program for beginner

Default training program for beginner

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    i bought a power rack, bar and some weights about 8 weeks ago and started training. i hadn't read your starting strength book so i just did my own thing. i got put on to your book during the week and just finished it. now i'm not sure what to do with my training. i was doing this:

day 1
    squat with the bar low on my back: 3 sets for 5 reps
    bench with a pause on my chest: 3 sets for 5 reps
    bench with an extra long pause on my chest: 3 sets for 4 reps
    chinup: 1 set for as many as i can

day 2
    deadlift: 3 sets for 5 reps
    standing overhead press: 3 sets for 5 reps
    front squat: 3 sets for 4 reps

day 3
    squat with the bar high on my back: 3 sets for 5 reps
    bench with no pause: 4 sets for 6 reps
    row or stiff leg deadlift: 3 sets for 8 and 6 reps respectively

i decided to lift weights to get stronger for work and drop some weight. i'm a scaffolder, and we're routinely scaling multiple stories, lugging 120 kg of gear on one shoulder, hoisting 20 kg standards overhead, and carrying 100 plus kg ladder beams, among other things, in excess of 100s of carries every day. the first couple weeks of training i was feeling beat up and weaker at work but now i'm feeling better and can tell the increased strength is making work easier

i haven't managed to lose any weight but my strength in the lifts has gone up. currently:

squat with the bar low on my back: 3 sets for 5 reps with 170 kg
    bench with a pause on my chest: 3 sets for 5 reps with 120 kg
    bench with an extra long pause on my chest: 3 sets for 4 reps with 115 kg
    deadlift: 3 sets for 5 reps with 200 kg
    standing overhead press: 3 sets for 5 reps with 70 kg
    front squat: 3 sets for 4 reps with 110 kg
    squat with the bar high on my back: 3 sets for 5 reps with 150 kg
    bench with no pause: 4 sets for 6 reps with 125 kg
    row or stiff leg deadlift: 3 sets for 8 and 6 reps with 80 and 140 kg respectively

i just kept adding weight to the lifts each time i did them. a couple times i only managed 4 reps on the last set of the bench with a short pause and on the overhead press but i just added more weight the next time and carried on. at first i was able to add more weight, but lately i've only been adding one 1.25 kg plate to each side

after finishing your book yesterday, i see i've been doing it wrong. should i just continue with my current weights but with the program outlined in your book? at the moment, i would like to get a little bit stronger and try to lose about 5 kg so work is a breeze. after that, i want to cut training down to the bare minimum just to keep the strength i've gained because i actually hate lifting weights. i'd rather be out riding or at the bar. any pointers on what to do now and what to reduce things to once i'm happy with my strength would be good

by the way, your book was pretty good too. i skimmed over the technical stuff as i'm just a beginner but i found it easy to read and i generally don't read much but the paper at smoko. wish i knew about it a couple months ago, i would probably be farther ahead at the moment and ready to scale things back

You've hit some impressive numbers in 8 weeks. Be interested to know you're height and weight? I believe in the efficacy of SS but I also believe that if something works then keep doing it until it doesn't.

Eugene? Is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Eugene? Is that you?
    This did cross my mind. Or stonecockrider.

Yep, smells like troll. This is my favourite bit " i actually hate lifting weights. i'd rather be out riding or at the bar".

Who would bother typing all that out if this wasn't authentic? If it is a troll then people are really, really weird. When do they get the time to pursue such a sad and lonely hobby?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
    Who would bother typing all that out if this wasn't authentic? If it is a troll then people are really, really weird. When do they get the time to pursue such a sad and lonely hobby?

Glenn Pendlay would.

Stone rider would. And the lack of capitalization was his thing

Remember that thread where Glenn in disguise was totally outed as being Glenn, and then some guy bizarrely started sticking up for him which prompted Rip to question HIS Glenn-ness? It was one of the first threads I read on here and I could not stop laughing.

starting strength coach development program
    Truly bizarre. OP, if you are serious get Practical Programming for Strength training 3rd ed - it addresses your questions. If you are a troll, get a life. You're wasting time you'll never get back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast