starting strength gym

Thread: PPST3 Example "Well-executed novice linear progression"

Default PPST3 Example "Well-executed novice linear progression"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In Chapter 6 of Practical Programming for Strength e3, Kindle Edition: The Novice, Rip gives an example of a starting strength linear progression log for a former athlete client of his.
    The training log looks like what we novices are all shooting for, and reflects very closely what Rip prescribes in Starting Strength.
    However I notice that in week 9 of the program, something changes. If this trainee's program was indeed executed near-flawlessly then this is something which was not covered in Starting Strength.
    In week 8, this guys progression is standard, 5 lbs per day increase on his squat. He ends week 8 at 280x5x3 on the 3rd day. On day 1 of week 9, he increases 5 lbs more on the squat, 285x5x3. However, on day 2, this trainee drops the weight down 20% on his working set of squats and does 220x5x3. Then on day 3, he returns to his progression based on day 1 weight, 280x5x3.
    While this programming is very intuitive, is it Starting Strength? It makes a lot of sense to me since I've been struggling squatting 240-250 these past 3 weeks, making weekly progress instead of daily, and feeling very over-trained. I imagine I would benefit from a drop day in the middle of the week.

My point is: I didn't know I could do this and not be accused of YNDTP? Can I get away with this?

Is the only part of the novice chapter that you read? I refuse to believe that you read the entire chapter on novice programming and missed the part about the midweek offload.

I may have missed that part initially, now I've found what you are referencing... although I didn't notice this concept in SSBBT... I suppose it's an advanced concept!

Ok so you are good now?

And BTW, that example client was mine and not Rip's.

Good, thank you sir! I plan to utilize this method because I am not recovering sufficiently from the cumulative workload. My gains have slowed to about 2.5 lbs per week over the past 2 weeks.

It's not a new concept though, the mid week light squats are in SSBBT as well, and that stage of Novice LP is often referred to as "advanced novice" phase.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm going to take this Wed/Fri off from Squats to recover... then on Monday I will pick up where I failed at 250 x 5 x 3, and Wednesdays will be my 20% back-off set @ 200 lbs x 5 x 3. Friday will be 255 lbs. Hoping this gets my progression back on track.