starting strength gym

Thread: SS Advanced novice - 3s in the mix?

Default SS Advanced novice - 3s in the mix?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Andy, and thanks for the fantastic service you provide for free here.

I've been running SS and then Advanced Novice for close to 6 months (with a reset or two due to life getting in the way of lifting here and there).

Current worksets for 5s:
    Squat 315
    Deadlift 400
    Bench 230
    Press 150

Weights are getting heavy, but are still progressing just fine. It's just that I'm sick and tired of 5s. Could I mix in 3s here and there, as long as volume stays the same? Say 5 sets of 3 reps for squat instead of 3x5? It's just to freshen it all up a bit, it's feeling so repetetive and boring, even though the progress is there and makes me feel good.

I really wouldn't mess with it until later. Once your lifts start to stall out then you will switch to 3s anyways most likely. Just wait til then.

For intermediates/advanced you know I'm a fan of mixing up the rep ranges, but for novices, 5s really should be the go to if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I really wouldn't mess with it until later. Once your lifts start to stall out then you will switch to 3s anyways most likely. Just wait til then.

For intermediates/advanced you know I'm a fan of mixing up the rep ranges, but for novices, 5s really should be the go to if at all possible.
    Okay, Andy, thanks for the feedback and keeping me grounded for now! I'll stay with 5s and just find motivation in strength going up. Crushed 3x5 squats at 320 today, lighter than ever.