starting strength gym

Thread: 5/3/1, need help choosing assistance exercises

Default 5/3/1, need help choosing assistance exercises

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm migrating some of my workout to a 531 program.
    Starting with BP and OP, eventually followed by Squat and DL.

So my challenge is that I workout at home and currently own zero dumbbells.
    Suggestions for assistance work that can be done with an OLY bar and OLY curlbar?

You can do rows, cleans,curls using the.straight bar, and lying tricep extensions with the ez curl bar.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    You can do rows, cleans,curls using the.straight bar, and lying tricep extensions with the ez curl bar.
    And close-grip bench, overhead tricep extensions, delt raises using plates, makeshift landmine press, pushups, floor press, handstand pushups, bench dips... the list goes on!

Thanks everyone lots of great ideas.

Maybe my selection issue is more of a matching issue.

Deadlift I assume I can add RDL, SGDL, deficit DL.
    Squats I assume front squat.
    BP I can toss in the triceps extensions.

Landmine Press, curls, I’m not really sure what they support.
    Goodmornings I don’t know if that’s going to primarily support DL or Squat?

Also I’m restricted by my “fat to strength ratio” some items like chins are out of my range right now.
    Even the triceps extensions with an empty bar might be tight.
    I’ve got some work to do and some “fat” to burn…

Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    Thanks everyone lots of great ideas.

Maybe my selection issue is more of a matching issue.

Deadlift I assume I can add RDL, SGDL, deficit DL.
    Squats I assume front squat.
    BP I can toss in the triceps extensions.

Landmine Press, curls, I’m not really sure what they support.
    Goodmornings I don’t know if that’s going to primarily support DL or Squat?

Also I’m restricted by my “fat to strength ratio” some items like chins are out of my range right now.
    I’ve got some work to do and some “fat” to burn…
    Curls support having sweet gunzz. Also an antagonist to the bench and press. Also will help you achieve those chin-ups. Landmine press supports press mainly and bench to a lesser extent. Good mornings probably support deadlift a bit more than squat, but are more logistically simple to add after the squat, since the bar's already in the rack. If you can't do an empty curl bar LTE, I will hold off on suggesting dips or even bench dips for now. Why are you switching to 5/3/1?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Why are you switching to 5/3/1?
    It’s more like I’m “preparing to switch”, I pretty sure that I’m getting close to not making gains in BP or OP, if I’m not already there. I have had some set back to sickness/vacation so I’m not saying I’m there yet but I’m pretty darn close. My OP has sort of regressed, BP is flat. It’s sort of like creating my future “travel plans” provide confidence to stay the course and keep trying to tweak out a bit more with the linear progression. Thinking I might be at the end of the progression without having plan mapped out just gives me anxiety. I still have forward progress n Squat and DL.

Barbell curls. Barbell rows. Get a resistance band with handles. Hang it off your rack and do lat pulldowns. Tricep extensions can be done the same way. Not ideal but it'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Prowler, hill sprints, loaded walks, loaded carries.

I liked doing GM/RDL on squat day, pause squat/front squat on DL day, high rep presses on bench day, close grip bench on press day.

Really, it all depends on your weak points, and what you have found to work in the past. I'd say rows until you can do chin/pu are probably the first thing to add in.
    This is very similar to what I do, and it has been working pretty well for me. I also do SS-style shrugs and I added power cleans a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I would also add pull ups and weighted chins on bench and press days but the OP can't do them yet, for anyone else who sees this.
    Yes, been doing weighted chins as well (actually alternating weighted w/ non-weighted). For the OP I think rows are a good option, unless he has access to a lat pull machine.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    This right here makes me think that perhaps you are nowhere close to exhausting novice gains. EZ-curl bars are usually 15-20 lbs I think, and even the standard barbell is only 45 lbs. I'm very surprised this would be a struggle for someone who has gone through novice and advanced novice progression.

I had really good luck with TM following SS, but made a bad decision to switch to HLM for the wrong reasons and ended up stalling pretty hard on squat progress for almost 4 months.