• starting strength seminar october 2024
    Weight: 185lbs
    Lift Current PR
    Squat 225 270
    Bench 170 190
    Deadlift 270 285
    Seated OHP 100 112.5
    Pendlay row 140 150

So, yea. 2015 sucked, so building back up yet again.

Due to my weekday schedule I have about an hour a day weekdays but plenty of time on the weekends.

I'm thinking of something like this:

Volume days
    Monday - Squat 5x5
    Tuesday - Bench 5x5 / SOHP 5x5
    Wednesday - Deadlift 2x5, Pendlay row 3x5
    (all for 85% ID)

Saturday - Squat 1x5, Bench/SOHP 1x5, Deadlift 1x5 (PR day, 1.0%-1.5% over previous week)

Does this even look sane?
    Last edited by I_iz_a_fatass; 01-23-2016 at 01:32 PM. Reason: oops.

I have very little time on weekdays and weekends are often hit/miss.
    I stretched SS Novice over 5 days, so never spent more than ~50 minutes in the gym and it was often more like 30 minutes.

I just switched to TM 4 day (from PPST3), having just completed one week:

Monday: Bench volume 5x5, Press ID 1x5
    Tuesday: Squat volume 5x5
    Thursday: Bench ID 1x5, Press volume 5x5
    Friday: Squat ID 1x5, Deadlift (my deadlift is all sorts of broken at the moment)

Squat volume day was my longest, taking about 50 minutes total (and I was messing around- could easily have done it in 35 min). The other days were a breeze.
    Last edited by dhalli; 01-23-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Usually one weekend day ges blown by real life (snow shoveling, some manufactured crisis or other, etc.)

And looking again, it make s alot more sense to do IDs on weekdays and crush volume on the weekend.

So, with that said...

Monday: 1x5 squats (PR of last PR +5lbs, falling back to 1.0-1.5% when 5lbs doesn't work anymore)
    Tuesday: 1x5 OHP/Bench (PR of last PR +2.5lbs, falling back to 1.0-1.5% when 2.5lbs doesn't work anymore)
    Wednesday: Deadlift 1x5 (same as squats,I think there's a lot of 5lb jumps left)
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: VD across the board, swapping OHP/Bench from Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I'd do something like KUA or 5/1 on weekdays, with conditioning work or assistance on the weekends. Planning training on weekends isn't a good long-term solution IMO, weekends are when life happens.
    That's not my experience, but I don't have much life happening beyond work, wife, and kids.

I usually spend 2 to 2 1/2 hours in the gym on Saturday morning. Monday and Wednesday after work I try to keep as close to an hour as I can.

An hour on weekdays and more time on the weekend is plenty time for something like this:

M Squat 3x5, Bench 3x5

W Squat 3 x 5, Press 3x5

Sa Deadlift 1x5, Bench 3x5, Press 3x5

I would get some microplates and do a long, slow LP for as long as you're able with the schedule you have. I'm doing this myself and I'm pretty happy w/ how things are going. Not a lot of thinking involved, just get in, do it and move on.

I just have the wife, but I've had enough weekends where I would be unable to train due to regular life stuff that I wouldn't make it a regular plan. I understand kids can take up a lot of time on weekdays, too, and because of the extra 8-10 free hours from not being at work weekend training might be more regular? It's why I said "IMO" though I could have said it was my current experience.
    Fortunately my wife is pretty understanding (or she just doesn't want to deal with me when I don't get to lift), so she doesn't plan anything for Saturday mornings that involves me. I don't rearrange my lifting schedule for much. It's worked pretty good for me over the last six years.

My wife also works rotating shifts including weekends, so in the event she has a Fri-Sat-Sun combo off work, odds are pretty good I won't be home on the weekend. And unless we go up to Traverse and I can sneak out and meet up with Root I won't be lifting.
    Nice.

I'm not sure what's going to happen when my kids get older and involved in stuff that conflicts with my lifting schedule. I guess I'll have to get used to shifting things around. Hopefully by that time they are more self-sufficient and it will be easier to find other times.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinyNorman View Post
    Nice.

I'm not sure what's going to happen when my kids get older and involved in stuff that conflicts with my lifting schedule. I guess I'll have to get used to shifting things around. Hopefully by that time they are more self-sufficient and it will be easier to find other times.
    5 kids. My wife works from home, when I get home from work. Life is in a constant state of flux. Today is Bench Intensity day and Press Volume. I might be able to get Bench in while the baby naps, Press will probably be a bit split up while I make dinner... jam down to the basement for a set, back up to the kitchen... or maybe once I get the kids to bed. All plans are loose and subject to change at any moment, sometimes things have to be put off until the next day.

For what it's worth, the older ones are rather self sufficient. 18yo obviously doesn't need much. 10yo is easy. 6yo and 3yo often come down to the basement gym with me. 1yo is giving up on napping, which is throwing a wrench in things. Thats the normal day to day stuff... but then there's birthday parties, events, occasional colds/sickness, other activities (son wants to start BJJ/grappling, they do gymnastics, dirt bike riding on weekends, school projects, "just for fun" projects, etc). Flux. Constant state of flux.

Quote Originally Posted by dhalli View Post
    5 kids. My wife works from home, when I get home from work. Life is in a constant state of flux. Today is Bench Intensity day and Press Volume. I might be able to get Bench in while the baby naps, Press will probably be a bit split up while I make dinner... jam down to the basement for a set, back up to the kitchen... or maybe once I get the kids to bed. All plans are loose and subject to change at any moment, sometimes things have to be put off until the next day.

For what it's worth, the older ones are rather self sufficient. 18yo obviously doesn't need much. 10yo is easy. 6yo and 3yo often come down to the basement gym with me. 1yo is giving up on napping, which is throwing a wrench in things. Thats the normal day to day stuff... but then there's birthday parties, events, occasional colds/sickness, other activities (son wants to start BJJ/grappling, they do gymnastics, dirt bike riding on weekends, school projects, "just for fun" projects, etc). Flux. Constant state of flux.
    Likewise. Daughters 5 and 3 and son 4 mos here. I have a lot of job flexibility thankfully but wise time management is key to getting lifts in.

starting strength coach development program
    After some fuckaround and testing, I've mostly settled it this way:

Tuesday
    • Squat 1x5 @ 101%-101.5% previous week, 1-3x3 backoff at 97%

Wednesday
    • OHP 1x3 @ 101%-101.5% previous week, 1-3x3 backoff at 97%
    • Alternate with bench weekly

Thursday
    • Deadlift 1x5 @ 101%-101.5% previous week, 1-3x3 backoff at 97%

Saturday All at 80-85% ID
    • Squat 5x5
    • Bench 5x5 (alternate with OHP)
    • Deadlift 3x5
    • Rows 3x5 (light)

The idea is to use ID to drive up 5lbs a week until I can't, then fall back to 1.0-1.5% increases. I'm also weighing one recommendation to do the 3x3 sets at the increase and 1x5 as a backoff.

We'll see how it runs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast