starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Method: Lack of Progression in Press Movements

Default Texas Method: Lack of Progression in Press Movements

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I have been running the TM for about 6 weeks. I have been linearly progressing on squat and until my latest workout on deadlifts.
    My problem is mainly with OHP and Bench Press. I have reset both of them and the progression seems to lack.
    How shall i approach them?
    In my latest workout, on bench, i was aiming at 5 reps but i got 3. So i made two more sets of 3 without much trouble.

That made me thinking that i may need some extra pressing volume.
    Possibly add couple more sets on intensity day and/or add some dips/chinups on volume day.

What do you think, am i thinking right?

My latest stats @70kg are:
    Squat: 147.5x5 and 122.5x5x5 on volume day
    OHP: 55x1 (i was aiming 3) and 47.5x5x5 on volume day
    BP: 85x3x3 (tried to add few sets on intensity day) and 72.5x5x5 on volume day
    Deadlift: 145x3 (i will reset and start again to hit 5)
    PC: 70x3x5
    PS: 50x3x3 (I am thinking to replace both olympic movements because of my technique)

Thanks

I think you shouldn't be doing any olympic movements unless you got a couch to teach them to you. Learning them from the internet is way too hard for the average person and could result in injuries. You can switch them with weighted chin ups. If your press isn't progressing it's probably because your minimum weight jump is 2.5kg. If you can't get plates for micro loading then adding weight to the press will be really hard since 2.5kg jumps are huge for press.

Have you run the regular ol' Starting Strength program?

How is your nutrition and recovery?

Height? Age? Sex?

Have you tried a 4-day split?

D1: 5RM Bench, 5x5 Press, Dips (optional)
    D2: 5RM Squat, 5x5 Pulling Movement, Chins (optional)
    D3: 5RM Press, 5x5 Bench, Dips (optional)
    D4: 5RM Deadlift, 5x5 Squat, Chins (optional)

PPST3 has three 4-day TM variants described. Look into it.

Of course, that's all assuming you have run out LP on your presses.

@Miro:
    I have read the PPSS but i have probably missed it, i will read it again thanks.

@Tom:
    I am male, mid 20, i am eating good and i am resting enough.
    I have run the linear progression, though i will see if i can get more with microloading. (@Supraspinatus: indeed, i was progressing with 2.5kg, i have already ordered some fractional plates)

Quote Originally Posted by Supraspinatus View Post
    I think you shouldn't be doing any olympic movements unless you got a couch to teach them to you. Learning them from the internet is way too hard for the average person and could result in injuries. ...
    Bill Starr taught himself the OLY lifts based on the still photographs published in Strength & Health. It is possible to learn the OLY lifts by yourself. You must be very particular and honest about form (e.g., if you press-out a snatch, it is a failed rep, etc.). Filming the lifts helps also (and post them in the technique or coach-reviewed sections). In addition to Rippetoe's text (a whole chapter devoted to the power clean), Everett's book is a great resource. The pulling style is not the same as Rip's, but it doesn't mean there isn't a ton of solid information in there.

Quote Originally Posted by maxitis View Post
    @Miro:
    I have read the PPSS but i have probably missed it, i will read it again thanks.

@Tom:
    I am male, mid 20, i am eating good and i am resting enough.
    I have run the linear progression, though i will see if i can get more with microloading. (@Supraspinatus: indeed, i was progressing with 2.5kg, i have already ordered some fractional plates)
    Yeah, progression on 2.5kg is a bit difficult with bench and especially the press, except for the absolute rank novice. Won't matter what program you are on.

If that's why you stalled it's indeed time to microload. Don't be afraid to do 1kg jumps. Progress is progress.

Put on some weight, micro load, and increase volume. 4-day TM split worked well for me.

Even on a 4 day split I still needed back off sets on bench and press after ID sets to keep moving. I do 2 sets of 5 at 90%(ish)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Bill Starr taught himself the OLY lifts based on the still photographs published in Strength & Health. It is possible to learn the OLY lifts by yourself. You must be very particular and honest about form (e.g., if you press-out a snatch, it is a failed rep, etc.). Filming the lifts helps also (and post them in the technique or coach-reviewed sections). In addition to Rippetoe's text (a whole chapter devoted to the power clean), Everett's book is a great resource. The pulling style is not the same as Rip's, but it doesn't mean there isn't a ton of solid information in there.
    It is much easier to learn the OLY lifts wrong and end up injuring yourself than to learn them right. It's just not worth it. They aren't that great and aren't necessary at all. You can progress perfectly well by doing rows and weighted chin ups. I don't think that any average lifter should bother himself with studying OLY lifts. I don't even see the reason for doing them at all unless you are an olympic weightlifter. If you like dancing with barbells you are welcome to join a crossfit club.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast