starting strength gym

Thread: Training for the Fall Classic

Default Training for the Fall Classic

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

First off thanks for all the good stuff you put here.

I've signed up for the Fall Classic, and am starting to think about my last few months of programming. Currently I'm running the Texas Method, and looking through Practical Programming I saw the Texas Method for Powerlifting. Do you think it would make sense to run something similar? As in Press 2 x week, and bench on recovery day? In general I'm liking the Texas Method, and it's working for my Squat and Deadlift, but my press hasn't really budged much and I'd like to get it up to bodyweight for the classic if at all possible.

Stats if they are relevant:

Male age 38, 5'6"
    bw 175

recent lifts
    squat - 370 x 4
    bench - 240 x 3
    press - 160 x 3
    dead - 380 x5
    power clean - don't want to talk about it

Thanks again,

Brad

Press does great on TM. Volume 5s and Intensity day 3s, 2s, 1s. Lots of singles across for press. Bench on Weds

Thanks, appreciate it

My 3x5 Press is 150. My 1RM is 182. Trying to get to 190 or higher for the Fall Classic.

Where would you throw dips into this equation. On Press Volume, Press ID, or Bench day?

Also, would it make sense to skip the 2s and just alternate ID between a Triple (week 1) and a 3 singles (week 2)? With maybe a 15lb/10% or so offset between Triple & Singles (Triple of 165, Singles of 180).

Dips could go on either day. You could certainly skip 2s and alternate betweens 3s and 1s. There are TONS of variations that work within the TM template. As long as it makes some sense you always just have to "try it and see" and then adjust accordingly where you find problems