starting strength gym

Thread: Moving from Strong lifts 5*5 app to Starting Strength app

Default Moving from Strong lifts 5*5 app to Starting Strength app

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I'm moving from the SL app to the SS app. If you were in my shoes how would you go about selecting starting weights for the exercises in SS?

Assuming you have good form, use your current working weight from SL and be more aggressive on your progress (20-10lb jumps on squat/DL, 10-5lb jump on press/bench). Learn how to power clean!

If your form is jacked up, follow the teaching progression in the book (or see a coach), and during your first workout at each lift titrate the weight up until the bar slows. That's your first work set.
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 12-12-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks Adam. I'm fairly content with my form so I will give your first suggestion a try!

Do you video your work sets? If not, you might be surprised! There's a lot more to good form than you might think, and it all makes a difference.

I don't Fiddler. Practicalities of my gym (4 cages almost always being used) mean it would be awkward for me to attempt.So, whilst content with my form I'm certainly not complacent and would not be at all surprised to learn that there are adjustments I could make to improve.

A little while ago I was squatting 102.5kg/226lbs for my work sets. It was reading Starting Strength and watching some Rippetoe videos which opened my eyes to my hubris and I know I HAVE improved my form on all exercises from what it used to be like.I'm basically not quite as full of shit as I used to be and that's great; my stats are very modest but I value them more.

If I get an opportunity I will video my worksets.

starting strength coach development program
    FWIW, I'm always having to correct depth and other form details. All it takes is a little tripod and a cell phone. It's a lot easier to stay on track than to get back on track.