starting strength gym

Thread: A Short Guide to Intermediate Training

Fantastic article. I posted in Ripps forum last week on exactly this topic. He moved it to repetitive inquiries even though I still think the question is valid. The amount of info that gets thrown at an intermediate is overwhelming, and the desire to just grab a program to get out is alluring. Sorting through the information and understanding what components need to be added to match an individuals goals needs to be weighed. I have set goals and I have a program that seems to work, but some of it seems arbitrary when you look at them at the same time. Thank you.

Thanks Andy, good article as always.

I'm doing 3 day TM while losing weight at age 30 and I'm not having all that much trouble. My 405lbs 5x5 squat on Monday was brutal (and Tuesday requires extra coffee), but people just need to carb up on Sunday and grow a pair

I also had a successful weight cut using a 3-day Texas Method a few years ago, but I don't necessarily recommend it for everyone. It can work if you time your nutrition right. I did the same thing, volume day was Monday so Sunday afternoon/night I'd cheat my ass off with carbs/fat/sodium laden meals and then go to bed. After a week of low carbs I'd wake up Monday feeling full and tight as a drum and have great volume day workouts. Usually Monday morning I'd have about 7-8 lbs worth of bloat from the cheat meals. Worked like a charm.

I've done that with clients with mixed results. Usually its non-adherence to the strictness of the diet Mon-Sat and then just an unwillingness to eat enough on Sunday night to blow their weight up for Monday.

I love all the material that you're putting out, Andy. Great stuff! I can't read enough of it, but I always have more questions in my head than answers. Keep it coming.

If you have ideas for articles just post them on this forum.

Im so thankful you and the staff exist. I would have been reading and following Joe Weider principals and flex magazine programs otherwise.

I had some article suggestions mostly conditioning related but that new book hits the nail on the head on all of my suggestions.
    I will be giving a copy to my parents for Christmas.

One article that could be done is how can a novice make progress if they have a heavy workload or is a shift worker and other extroneous things that makes training erratic and tough to even get in sessions?

Simple question, in your last example, is there a reason for the bench press to be on deadlift day and press on heavy squat day? I have been doing this a/b alternation since September when heavy squats and deadlifts on the same day became too much for my 42 year old body to handle (adapted your strength and mass template to be closer to advanced novice and to keep a simple a/b alternation) but I have press and bench switched. Is there a compelling reason for me to switch?

No, I just usually have it like that for logistical reasons in the gym. i.e. it's easy to strip weight off the squat bar and roll right into presses. And if we bench out of the rack its easy to move the bench outta the way and set the bar on the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    No, I just usually have it like that for logistical reasons in the gym. i.e. it's easy to strip weight off the squat bar and roll right into presses. And if we bench out of the rack its easy to move the bench outta the way and set the bar on the floor.
    Makes sense. Thank you.