starting strength gym

Thread: Barbell Prescription program question

Default Barbell Prescription program question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I want to switch to program 3D from The Barbell Prescription (after stalling on 3C), but I'm confused about the number of squat sets and reps to use for Workout B, the light squat day. The sidebar says 5x3 but the text never mentions that -- the text just says if 3x5 at 5% reduction is difficult to complete, then reduce the number of sets or reps before reducing weight further. And the example program just shows the switch from 3C to 3D starting at 3x3 with a 10% weight reduction.

So where to begin, 5x3, 3x5, or 3x3?

It's not THAT critical what you do on the light day. The point is to preserve some strength without creating too much new stress. On the 2 day programs, I prefer the 3x3 protocol with heavier loads for weaker clients and the 5s with bigger offsets for stronger clients.

What is your age and how much do you squat on your heavy day?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    What is your age and how much do you squat on your heavy day?
    Thanks Andy.

61 years old, 6'4", 180 lbs.

I've been doing essentially Program 3C for the last few months and worked up to 150 lbs on my squat (at 5 lbs/week), but then stalled. I tried a couple resets but each time I stalled again at a lower weight, sort of a two steps back, one step forward situation. I'm down to 130 lbs at my latest workout. I'm hoping switching to Program 3D will get me moving back in the right direction.

Yeah, I'd take your light day at 3x3 with about a 10% reduction. So if your next workout is 135x5x3 then make your light day 120x3x3

Will do. Thanks very much.