starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HLM DL Programming: Which makes more sense?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You guys raise an interesting question: why does PPST says advanced novices should pull on light day, but intermediates shouldn't?

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    You guys raise an interesting question: why does PPST says advanced novices should pull on light day, but intermediates shouldn't?

Could you please clarify how did you get that from PPST?

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post

It probably has everything to do with the ability of an advanced novice to recover faster than an intermediate lifter.

Advanced Novice =/= Intermediate.

I've had the same question as the OP but I'm 54 years old. I've got PPST3 but haven't gotten to the actual programing chapters yet.

I'm a late comer to SS but I've been lifting for a few years and trying H/L/M since I've stalled and reset a couple of times. Heavy squats and heavy deadlifts seem like a lot to recover from, especially being a bit older. I've wondered about moving the heavy deadlift to Wednesday with my lighter squats and OHP. My squats and presses would still follow the H/L/M program on Mon/Wed/Fri. So it would look something like this:

Monday
    Squats 3X5
    Bench 3X5
    RDL 3X5

Wed
    Squats 3X5 @80% of Mon
    OHP 3X5
    DL 1X5

Fri
    Squats 3X3 Mon+5# (I got this idea from Andy's site)
    Incline 3X5
    PC 5X3 or DL 1X1 wed+5#

Sound reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Moser View Post
    I've had the same question as the OP but I'm 54 years old. I've got PPST3 but haven't gotten to the actual programing chapters yet.

I'm a late comer to SS but I've been lifting for a few years and trying H/L/M since I've stalled and reset a couple of times. Heavy squats and heavy deadlifts seem like a lot to recover from, especially being a bit older. I've wondered about moving the heavy deadlift to Wednesday with my lighter squats and OHP. My squats and presses would still follow the H/L/M program on Mon/Wed/Fri. So it would look something like this:

Monday
    Squats 3X5
    Bench 3X5
    RDL 3X5

Wed
    Squats 3X5 @80% of Mon
    OHP 3X5
    DL 1X5

Fri
    Squats 3X3 Mon+5# (I got this idea from Andy's site)
    Incline 3X5
    PC 5X3 or DL 1X1 wed+5#

Sound reasonable?
    Will you spread it out and do two days a week? Like Tues Heavy, Friday Light, Tues Medium, Friday Heavy...

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Will you spread it out and do two days a week? Like Tues Heavy, Friday Light, Tues Medium, Friday Heavy...

I like a three day per week plan, it just fits my schedule and home life better. I'm just proposing moving the heavy DL to Wed. when I'm doing the light squats. Heavy DL and heavy squats just seem like too much for one workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Moser View Post
    I like a three day per week plan, it just fits my schedule and home life better. I'm just proposing moving the heavy DL to Wed. when I'm doing the light squats. Heavy DL and heavy squats just seem like too much for one workout.
    I asked because you're 54 and recovery might not allow classic 3 day. Search function, Google and PPST3 will give you that you can put DL on the day that works best for you, keeping it HLM.

starting strength coach development program
    I think I'll give the wednesday DL a go. I need to get moving on my reading of PPST3. I tend to be a very slow reader, might take a month or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12