starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions about Westside method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    There were some vids a few years back, can't recall the name of the coach, and I use the term loosely. Shouldn't insult coaches by using it all, actually. At any rate, he had these skinny, weak kids doing literal quarter squats with a bunch of band tension and wearing full gear. It was insane. Does that ring a bell with anyone? Joe something or something Joe? I don't remember.

For Conjugate Raw Training, Matt Wenning is the guy to go to. His DVD's are loaded with valuable information.

https://www.wenningstrength.com

Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    Bands/chains/boards/etc. are generally not useful for raw lifters, .
    I agree with alot of what you said, but not this. Why? I don't have a scientific reasoning just personal anecdote and anecdotes from other lifting that use these implements My favorite "implement" currently is the slingshot however.
    Last edited by silachoo; 01-25-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    I agree with alot of what you said, but not this. Why? I don't have a scientific reasoning just personal anecdote and anecdotes from other lifting that use these implements My favorite "implement" currently is the slingshot however.
    Me too, Those are tools, not a system .. They allow some one to overload a portion of the range of motion and / or to limit stress in a range of motion that is suffering overuse or is injured/healing.

Shoulders sore after benching a heavy cycle but you still want to load the top half and maintain some tonnage and frequency? Chains or board presses may be the right choice.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 01-25-2017 at 09:53 AM.

The conjugal method works very well if you use it correctly. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Yes it does, but it appears all those bogus Westside world record squatters are in trouble.

Pretty off topic but since you mentioned it. Multi ply guys in general do get high squats passed, no doubt about it. Some of them are complete jokes. But to remedy this, we shouldn't blame the lifter, we should blame the judges. If the judges stopped giving gifts the lifters would adjust and squat deeper. Maybe.

My favorite was when Dave Hoff stumbled backwards at lockout (deadlift) and dropped the bar and still got whites. Unbelievable. And let's not forget knee wrap-gate.

Multi ply judges need to really get with the program.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    If you're Mike Hedlesky, you've found a way to make it work for raw. When I think "conjugate method," I don't think Westside. Maybe that makes me a weirdo.

If you're Mike Hedlesky, you've found a way to make it work for raw. When I think "conjugate method," I don't think Westside. Maybe that makes me a weirdo.
    Mike "Hamburger Train" Hedlesky is his hero.

starting strength coach development program
    He said conjugal method.

Oh, and appropriately placed overload work does help me, but at this point I'm probably classified as an advanced lifter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast