starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid weight rooms on cruise

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    I am mostly concerned that you develop good work/training/life balance. Stressing about not having good training available will ruin too many vacations and you aren't missing many gains anyway..life will throw these deloads at you. Going on vacations from time to time is an oppurtunnity to be different than your everyday worker self.

You are going to get married( well maybe) people you love will die, your family wants to spend time with you, and training is a marathon not a sprint.
    Good advice Bryanccfshr. Should be mindful of priorities.

You will get strong, you are just beginning. Making gains can be a priority, but many of us , myself included, can become obsessive.

Were you really expecting a real gym on a Disney cruise ship?

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Were you really expecting a real gym on a Disney cruise ship?
    Yeah well when you put it that way. . . A family guy can hope, no?

I've read that even aircraft carriers don't have barbells -- they are a safety hazard in rough seas. Very unlikely you could find a cruise ship with barbells.

Enjoy your cruise! Build some memories, work on your tan, and maybe do some chinups/pushups with kids hanging on you.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Play with whatever machines they have, if you really need to. Sets of 12 leg extensions. Do some curls. Just get a little sweaty, go out and take a dip in the pool..
    I may catch some flak for this opinion, but I actually wouldn't mess with high rep sets of unfamiliar movements. You aren't going to be there long enough to train them to any degree and you'll just get sore as hell. Getting sweaty doing something cardio-ey is fine if it makes you feel better about being out of the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I may catch some flak for this opinion, but I actually wouldn't mess with high rep sets of unfamiliar movements. You aren't going to be there long enough to train them to any degree and you'll just get sore as hell. Getting sweaty doing something cardio-ey is fine if it makes you feel better about being out of the gym.
    This 101%. Dom's City.

Default Stupid weight rooms on cruise

Just have fun! One week off isn't going to kill all your gains.

But, if you're really concerned, you could schedule a mock meet for yourself right before leaving. 3 heavy singles, working up to a new 1RM for press, squat, bench, dead. Then use your vacation as a deload and have fun with your family! If you really want, mess around and have a deload bro week in the cruise weight room.

At that point with 10 weeks of TM under your belt, you'll probably be able to set a new 1RM.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Just have fun! One week off isn't going to kill all your gains.

But, if you're really concerned, you could schedule a mock meet for yourself right before leaving. 3 heavy singles, working up to a new 1RM for press, squat, bench, dead. Then use your vacation as a deload and have fun with your family! If you really want, mess around and have a deload bro week in the cruise weight room.

At that point with 10 weeks of TM under your belt, you'll probably be able to set a new 1RM.
    I really like this idea. I don't compete so wouldn't have thought of that at all....hmm maybe I'll set a 1RM of at least 425-435 on squat and a bit more for dead. Definitely doable.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Rivers View Post
    I really like this idea. I don't compete so wouldn't have thought of that at all....hmm maybe I'll set a 1RM of at least 425-435 on squat and a bit more for dead. Definitely doable.
    Yeah, it's what I did before the last time I went on vacation. The fives on TM will give you an estimated 1RM; from there you can try to match or very slightly exceed that number.

Heavy singles are a bit different than set of five though. Do you have any experience with rep ranges aside from fives?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast