starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starr/Texas Method Hybrid

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    no some crazy on the internet

I've seen Andy Baker report some different HLM scenarios he had with clients. One of them fared well on ascending sets a la Starr, but that may not be OP's case. What I think happened is OP needed more volume but couldn't recover from it very well on TM. Initially I would try doing the outlined HLM and run out the rep ranges only once. It may take him back to old PR land or he may set small PRs, but then I'd immediately follow with rotating rep ranges on the top set, so he can get a break from 5RM.

I gather he's no longer a part of TM's target population, so HLM might be easier to recover from while giving him the necessary volume.

Iceman's thread is a good read on the subject.

I'll give Iceman's thread a look. You know, reflecting back to my training log, I did hit a new PR for a 5RM during week 6 of my new cycle @ 390. Then I switched to triples, hit a new 3 RM @ 405 a few weeks later( subsequently I tore my pec that same workout while benching). So maybe progress wasn't THAT bad the second time around for TM.I just felt so beat up all of the time. Then maybe one has to experience that in order to super compensate week to week? l will add that progress over the last couple of months has been great ( my latest LP and the last two weeks of Starr). Last week I only made 415x4 ( i projected 5), still a new 4RM, and even if I increased to 420 for trips, or even doubles, would be new PR territory. I was thinking that I could run fives out a little longer, but maybe that's me being greedy?
    Last edited by Bradley Gish; 02-02-2017 at 09:19 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    I'll give Iceman's thread a look. You know, reflecting back to my training log, I did hit a new PR for a 5RM during week 6 of my new cycle @ 390. Then I switched to triples, hit a new 3 RM @ 405 a few weeks later( subsequently I tore my pec that same workout while benching). So maybe progress wasn't THAT bad the second time around. I just felt so beat up all of the time. Then maybe one has to experience that in order to super compensate week to week? I'll will add that progress over the last couple of months has been great ( my latest LP and the last two weeks of Starr). Last week I only made 415x4 ( i projected 5), still a new 4RM, and even if I increased to 420 for trips, or even doubles, would be new PR territory. I was thinking that I could run fives out a little longer, but maybe that's me being greedy?
    I've never done TM, but maybe feeling like crap is a usual side effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12