starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming help

Default Programming help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't mean to continue the bashing of the texas method, but I'm getting sick of not making any significant progress in any lift. To sum it up, I feel I'm getting weaker while my ass is getting bigger. Finally, I hate squats. I've always hated them, never been good at doing them. Meanwhile, I like deadlifts, and the TM doesn't allow for much pulling. The same goes for presses. Earlier I made best progress when I added more volume for presses and pulls. I decided to experiment with some programming, but am afraid of either doing too much or too little. I'm looking for some more hypertrophy as well. Also, I'm planning on adding some conditioning once or twice per week, depending on how the program is going. Any criticism is welcome

Stats: male, 32, 233lb, 6'2''
    current lifts for 1x5: squats 360lb, Bench 231lb, press 154lb, deads 424lb

Monday

Squats 2x5 at 90% 1RM
    Bench 3x3 at 95% 1RM
    Press 3x5 at 85% 1RM
    Deadlift 3x5 at 80% 1RM
    Curls 3x whatever

Wednesday

Squats 2x5 at same weight as Monday
    Press 2x3 at 95% 1RM
    Bench 3x5 at 85%-87%1RM
    Chins

Friday

Squats 1x5 - add 5lb more than last friday (hopefully..)
    Bench 3x8 at 75%-80% of 1RM
    Press 3x8 at 75%-85% of 1RM
    Deadlift 1x5 add 5lb since last Friday (hopefully..)
    Dips

Just a guess here. I think your presses are going to be tough coming in after bench. I have thought of doing something similar so that both BP and press will grow but i think it would be hard. Also having DL on monday for volume and then on friday for a PR may hit your recovery. Think about maybe replacing mondays pulls with SLDL or something with less weight?

But the DL part does depend on if you are a noob or intermediate. I would think intermediate based off your weights. In that case see above about DL.
    Last edited by SirIrb; 02-03-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 8odin8 View Post
    I don't mean to continue the bashing of the texas method, but I'm getting sick of not making any significant progress in any lift. To sum it up, I feel I'm getting weaker while my ass is getting bigger. Finally, I hate squats. I've always hated them, never been good at doing them. Meanwhile, I like deadlifts, and the TM doesn't allow for much pulling. The same goes for presses. Earlier I made best progress when I added more volume for presses and pulls. I decided to experiment with some programming, but am afraid of either doing too much or too little. I'm looking for some more hypertrophy as well. Also, I'm planning on adding some conditioning once or twice per week, depending on how the program is going. Any criticism is welcome ...
    If you don't want to squat, don't.

Have you done the Texas Method exactly as-written? It is pretty easy to assess progress - you either increased your maximums (done on ID), or you didn't. If you did NOT increase maximums - WHY?

The program you proposed will be incredibly difficult if you use a *true* 1RM (translation - not possible to do even one more pound). For example, two sets of five at 90% 1RM? The rule of thumb is that 90% is typically one triple, i.e., a 3RM. But sure, if you can turn that into TWO sets of 5, go ahead. And then you'll follow that up with multiple set maxes on the bench? And then the press? And then the deadlift? If you succeed at turning 90% 1RM into a set of 5,, and do it twice, you won't likely have the energy to do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    If you don't want to squat, don't.

The program you proposed will be incredibly difficult if you use a *true* 1RM (translation - not possible to do even one more pound). For example, two sets of five at 90% 1RM? The rule of thumb is that 90% is typically one triple, i.e., a 3RM. But sure, if you can turn that into TWO sets of 5, go ahead. And then you'll follow that up with multiple set maxes on the bench? And then the press? And then the deadlift? If you succeed at turning 90% 1RM into a set of 5,, and do it twice, you won't likely have the energy to do anything else.
    Now that I think about what you wrote, I'm sure I won't recover from the intensity of the lifts. I'll have to pull back on the intensity, and instead of doing percentages of 1RM do the mentioned percentages but with regards to my 5RM, for all mentioned lifts.
    Last edited by 8odin8; 02-03-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Looks like too much shit to do.

How about...

Code:
    Monday

Squats   3x5 at 90% 5RM
    Bench    3x5 at 90% 5RM
    Deadlift 3x5 at 70% 1RM
    Press    3x8 at 70% 1RM
    [do light (even paused) rows before curls]

Wednesday

Squats 3x5 at 80% 5RM
    Press  3x5 --> New 5RM
    SGDL   3x5 at 60% 1RM
    Bench  3x8 at 70% 1RM

Friday

Squats New 5RM
    Bench  New 5RM
    Deads  New 5RM
    Press  5x5 80%  of 1RM
    Even this is too much shit to do, but it's more in line with what I think would work.

Mgilchrest, I agree it's too much shit, but it's mostly a rough draft rather than a detailed plan. I'm still thinking it through.

The program you posted looks much more manageable and structured. Is this what you're currently doing? IF so, how's it going? I might give that a go. Thanks!

It's not what I'm doing now, as I don't have enough time to support that program.

If I did, and were ~10 years younger, I'd consider it.
    I think I have those 10 years on you Mgilchrest but I won't attack that beast. Too much pressing on one day.

How old is everyone?? Am I too old? Are the gainz behind me???

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    How old is everyone?? Am I too old? Are the gainz behind me???
    I'm 40. Mgilchrest?

Look, about the programming, I'll be the first to say that chopping squats up as you have makes me smile ear to ear. I just think you need more volume...and the other stuff I said.

I'm 41...
    I was wrong about 10 years. Nothing to see here people. Move on.

starting strength coach development program
    -
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 02-04-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast