starting strength gym

Thread: Is this acceptable programming?

Default Is this acceptable programming?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my second time doing the SS program (did it for 6 months two years back) and am about 2 months in. I am still in the novice phase but have met some challenges.

First thing, I am not at a gym where I can drop the barbell on my power cleans. I like doing cleans but feel like the limiting factor is being able to lower the weight after each rep without beating up my shoulders and wrists. In other words, I feel like I am stalling on cleans because the weight is too heavy for me to get back to the floor in a controlled manner.

Second thing: I feel like my lower back is getting a little beat up from doing dead lifts twice a week, and maybe it is time to decrease frequency.

So, I am thinking of trying this plan:

Monday: Squat, Press, Dead lift
    Wednesday: Squat, Bench, Glute-Ham Raise
    Friday: Squat, Press, Pull ups

The next week I switch the Press and Bench but keep the rest the same. Rinse and repeat.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
    This is my second time doing the SS program (did it for 6 months two years back) and am about 2 months in. I am still in the novice phase but have met some challenges.

First thing, I am not at a gym where I can drop the barbell on my power cleans. I like doing cleans but feel like the limiting factor is being able to lower the weight after each rep without beating up my shoulders and wrists. In other words, I feel like I am stalling on cleans because the weight is too heavy for me to get back to the floor in a controlled manner.

Second thing: I feel like my lower back is getting a little beat up from doing dead lifts twice a week, and maybe it is time to decrease frequency.

So, I am thinking of trying this plan:

Monday: Squat, Press, Dead lift
    Wednesday: Squat, Bench, Glute-Ham Raise
    Friday: Squat, Press, Pull ups

The next week I switch the Press and Bench but keep the rest the same. Rinse and repeat.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Ammo
    That is similar to a common iteration of SS. I'd do deadlifts every Wednesday and do both the glute hams and chins/pullups on Monday and Friday.

Thank you for the quick reply! I will try what you suggested.

Glute Ham Raise =/= Power Clean. If a GHR were worth a damn for a novice, it'd be part of the program. But it's not and power cleans are. Lower the bar properly and you won't have any problems. Video: The Power Clean | 3 Positions - YouTube
    Last edited by Bill Coyne; 02-04-2017 at 04:20 PM.