starting strength gym

Thread: Good volume/weight modifications?

Default Good volume/weight modifications?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm on HLM and can just tell I'm getting burned out over the last few weeks. I sleep enough, and am not particularly fond of force-feeding myself thousands of calories beyond my natural capacity, and since I'm training for basic health/lifestyle/longevity purposes, there's little difference to me in being able to squat 350 vs. 450 vs. 550 (other than goals for goals' sake, and bragging on the internet).

What I do care about is that I don't start feeling burned out as soon as I begin lifting; even on days I do hit my overall tonnage, it's a series of singles, doubles and triples, even when it comes to back-offs/medium sets because I just feel beat.

Stats are:

Squat: 1RM=345, 3RM=340
    DL: 2RM=330, 5RM=320
    OHP: 3RM=135, 5RM=125
    Incline Press: 3RM=185, 5RM=175

(almost) 33 y.o. male; 183lbs

Was considering reducing the sets/reps on H day and weight on M day and/or going down to two exercises per session (to maintain three sessions per week).

So, perhaps upcoming week would look like:

Monday:

Squat: 350x1, 315x2x3, 295x1-2x5
    DL: 335x2x2
    OHP: 140x1, 130x3, 115x1-2x5

Wednesday:

Squat: 275x3x5
    DL: 275x1x5
    IP: 160x3x5

Friday:

Squat: 295x3-4x3-5
    OHP: 115x2-3x5
    BB Row: 140x2x8

I alternate OHP and incline press week to week.

Based on the article about "training without a plan" I see the importance of hitting a big single or double at least once a week. The question is whether the rest of the workout will have enough volume, at sufficient weight, to be effective for my goals.

The other thought was to do something like the above, but with two lifts per session, so...

Monday:

Heavy squat
    Heavy OHP/IP

Wednesday:

Heavy DL
    Light squat

Friday:

Medium squat
    Medium OHP/IP

I realize this is a long-winded post, but I appreciate you thoughts (and blog posts!), particularly given your understanding of the different types of goals different lifters have. Bottom line is that I don't compete (except vs. myself, lol) and don't need to progress particularly quickly. I just need to keep feeling good and being reasonably strong (vs. the rest of the guys here, who are "unreasonably" strong) given that I work full-time and have a two-year-old, preventing me from spending hours per day working out or recovering after.

Thanks!

Try doing something like this to save some juice:

Mon: Heavy Squat, Light OHP

Weds: Heavy Incline, Deadlift

Friday: Light Squat, Heavy Press