starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So confused about programming

Default So confused about programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Background info: 36 years old, 5'10" 210 lbs. I've been lifting for three years with no athletic past. I log here. First SS and them TM up to a 405 squat but then spent pretty much all of 2016 just coasting. I cut with Robert Santana and did HLM, and then fatfucked myself again. Skipped some weeks here and there, haven't PRed in ages. (Well, I randomly deadlifted 425 one day a few months ago. But now I can barely get 350 up.)

Just now I re-LPed back up to about a 360 squat and then decided to switch to Texas Method......then I saw the threads here shitting all over TM, so now I'm thoroughly confused. It sounds like the complaint is it's not enough bench and pulling volume, which I've felt like before. Reading PPST, the four day splits sound like even less pressing work, everything is just done twice a week. I'd like to get past 400 on my squat and deadlift and past 225 for reps on my bench. I mean it's been three years.

I would like to try a four day split. I've been doing everything on a three day cycle forever.

It sounds like I can:

Squat: three times a week, following Texas Method for 4-6 weeks and then maybe shift into HLM (I figure just drop intensity day and start doing medium day)

Bench: three times a week (volume, then CGBP I guess?, then intensity)

Press twice a week?

Tricep accessory work once a week

Pulls: a DL alternate (RDL, lower weight volume DLs, power cleans, I dunno), then pullups for the middle of the week, then deadlift at the end.

I feel like this is a mess. Not sure where to start. Maybe it would make more sense to just to HLM and try to cram all this in.

Either do HLM or a 4 day texas method....it is true you do the lifts twice a week but do the one where you are pressing and benching each press day..

press
    5x5
    bench intensity

bench 5x5
    press intensity

your getting more pressing volume this way

Default So confused about programming

Are you ok to train 4 days a week? This is similar to what I'm running. The press may suffer a bit due to being fatigued from benching. But I think it'll keep going up, but might need to be run out on a shorter than otherwise time frame. Could put the close grip on Light squat day instead of after intensity press also.

This is sort of predicated on your press being fairly weak compared to bench. If your volume press is significantly heavy, then it wouldn't make a good "light day" lift.

Sunday (or any day you can spare a long time)
    Volume squat
    Volume bench
    Volume pull (deadlift variation. Pick one that targets your weak point, e.g., deficits if you're weak off the floor)

Tuesday
    Volume press
    Light squats
    Pull-ups/light pull variation

Thursday
    Intensity squat
    Intensity bench
    Intensity deadlift + back off deadlifts

Friday
    Intensity press
    Close grip bench
    Triceps isolation work

Don't worry about it - strength comes with hard work. If you put the work in, you'll be getting PRs in no time.

The biggest question I have before commenting on programming for you: how much time can you spend in each training session? Do you have any time restrictions due to family/ work requirements? If you do, this will guide programming recommendations. Personally, four 60 minute sessions fits into my life quite nicely.

Also, do you have any particular goals you would like to work on over the next couple months?
    Last edited by Chebass88; 02-06-2017 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Don't worry about it - strength comes with hard work. If you put the work in, you'll be getting PRs in no time.

The biggest question I have before commenting on programming for you: how much time can you spend in each training session? Do you have any time restrictions due to family/ work requirements? If you do, this will guide programming recommendations. Personally, four 60 minute sessions fits into my life quite nicely.

Also, do you have any particular goals you would like to work on over the next couple months?
    Thanks for the encouragement. That's what I kinda figured, if I work hard enough even if my program sucks it'll do....something. Keep me off the couch at least.

Time constraints: I lift in the morning before work. 60-75 min is good. Sometimes (half the time) my sleep sucks, but I make do. I could do four mornings a week including Saturday morning. Maybe Sunday if I really wung it but Sundays are a little busy as it is.

Goals are to quit dickin' around, make some PRs, get in better shape. I did 5x5 squats at some miniscule weight (320 lbs) and I was so out of breath I was ready to die. I have a treadmill and a jump rope, I should use em.

Why not sign up for Andy Bakers group program and take the guess work out of it? It would seem to fit your time requirements and following the structure and getting in a Facebook group with feedback may be helpful for you at this stage.
    The main thing to remember though is that you have to be consistent and over time you have to do more..you can do more by using more load or more volume. ( more load over time in the same set and rep scheme is more volume)
    If you are not attaining any type of unique overload in your training then you will not make progress. On the other end of that coin, you cannot be in overload constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Take the advanced novice template from PPST3e and then take HLM (under Starr) and figure out how to transform the advanced novice programming into HLM. .
    Yup. I would do this.

At, 36, I would probably do a morphed 4-day upper/lower thing:

Mon:
    Bench x5, drop 5-10% for 2 more sets
    Press: 10 min amrap

Tues:
    Squat x5, drop 5-10% for 2 more sets
    Light pull (maybe RDLs for 3x8?)

wed. off

Thurs: repeat mon. with added load on bench; and try for 1-2 extra reps during press amrap
    Fri:
    Squat: same as Tues. Add load.
    Dead: 5, then 10% drop for 1-2 more sets of 5

^ this advanced-novicey setup can change into a more HLM setup when increasing load every session starts to really suck.
    Last edited by John Hanley; 02-06-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. That's what I kinda figured, if I work hard enough even if my program sucks it'll do....something. Keep me off the couch at least.

Time constraints: I lift in the morning before work. 60-75 min is good. Sometimes (half the time) my sleep sucks, but I make do. I could do four mornings a week including Saturday morning. Maybe Sunday if I really wung it but Sundays are a little busy as it is.

Goals are to quit dickin' around, make some PRs, get in better shape. I did 5x5 squats at some miniscule weight (320 lbs) and I was so out of breath I was ready to die. I have a treadmill and a jump rope, I should use em.
    First off, a LOT of progress can be made in 4x60-75 minutes per week. If Sunday morning training isn't really feasible - don't count on it.

Second, don't put yourself down ("... some miniscule weight ..."). Cut that out immediately - if you look hard enough, you will always find someone much stronger than you. You are strong already, and have a full-time job, family, wife, house, etc. Think positively about your lifting. Can it be improved? Absolutely. Is it "miniscule"? Nope. Is it better than it was last year / month / week? If yes, WINNING!

You could have a LOT of success with the program Hanley wrote out. A LOT.

Regarding PRs - there are a lot of ways to skin this cat. Depending on how you do it, you can set a new PR every session. Make a table in your logbook - list all your favorite lifts in the left most column, and in the top row, list the rep PRs (1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20). When you get a new PR, fill in the table with the date & weight. A PR doesn't always have to be a new 1RM - it could be a new 8RM, or 20RM (these are fun!). As long as the numbers increase with time - WINNING!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    (seemingly brilliantly simple program)
    That's interesting. I may switch gears and do this. I did 5x5 squat and bench this morning, it took longer than expected.

10 min AMRAP = is that literally as many reps as possible in 10 min, regardless of how many sets/reps?

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Regarding PRs - there are a lot of ways to skin this cat. Depending on how you do it, you can set a new PR every session. Make a table in your logbook - list all your favorite lifts in the left most column, and in the top row, list the rep PRs (1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20). When you get a new PR, fill in the table with the date & weight. A PR doesn't always have to be a new 1RM - it could be a new 8RM, or 20RM (these are fun!).
    Thanks guys for the vote of confidence by the way. I suppose I could look back through your log but how do you figure in 10 rep and 20 rep sets onto something like what Hanley recommended - or anything really. You just throw them on the tail end of a good workout?

I'm actually intrigued by 10 and 20 rep squat sets. Always have been, but now especially since I'm in this funk where 4 reps feels long and 5 reps is brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Why not sign up for Andy Bakers group program and take the guess work out of it? It would seem to fit your time requirements and following the structure and getting in a Facebook group with feedback may be helpful for you at this stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Andy Baker is specifically aiming at your target demographic: dudes beyond the novice phase who have a lot of other shit (kids, job, life, etc.) going on and thereby time constraints. Not a bad deal for $27 a month.
    Huh, interesting. So looking at his page - he tosses out a general template for the week and you put your own numbers in, I'm guessing?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post

Huh, interesting. So looking at his page - he tosses out a general template for the week and you put your own numbers in, I'm guessing?

Basicly you adjust the program to your lifts and run with it. You can get feedback if something isn't working for you, most importantly for someone who doesn't have time to waste learning by trial and error all of the loading and rep undulations are taken care in the programming.
    All you have to do is the lifting, and log your progress. It can take the doubt out of starting a program and wondering if it will work for you especially if something isn't progressing. If it isn't working you have a resource to make adjustments for you.
    John Hanleys suggestion is great one too. There is no one right way, if you have a busy life though, paid programming can help with analysis paralysis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast