starting strength gym

Thread: how to program for large groups with limited equipment

Default how to program for large groups with limited equipment

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

Recently I have been contacted by a local school district that wants me to do the strength and conditioning for several high school sports teams (basketball, football, and cheerleading). I own a small strength and conditioning gym (1000 sq ft) I have 4 power racks and 2 deadlift platforms, a single strip of turf big enough to push one prowler, along with a small variety of dumbbells and medicine balls. Not ideal for athletic teams of 15-20 people... however, being that I am a newly started gym i am not in a position to want to turn any business down so my question is, how do you program starting strength effectively for for large groups when you have limited equipment resources? Any help would be hugely appreciated!!

The more important question is how are you getting paid for this? I've done this before with local teams and its a huge pain in the ass. Make sure you can't just as easily train a handful of personal training clients in that same time slot and make more.

Additionally....make sure payment comes from a single source at a regular date. And base NOTHING on attendance. Flat fee, period.

That being said, read Starrs book TSSS, but mix in deads and presses, not just squat, bench, clean. And don't do the whole thing as a circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    The more important question is how are you getting paid for this? I've done this before with local teams and its a huge pain in the ass. Make sure you can't just as easily train a handful of personal training clients in that same time slot and make more.

Additionally....make sure payment comes from a single source at a regular date. And base NOTHING on attendance. Flat fee, period.

That being said, read Starrs book TSSS, but mix in deads and presses, not just squat, bench, clean. And don't do the whole thing as a circuit
    I am charging them 100 dollars per 1 hour session.

I am interested in this topic, but as a parent of a soccer player, not as a coach.

This is the school's first ever attempt at having a soccer strength program, which is a step in the right direction. The program is run by parents, not a coach. As far as programming goes, well I loaned them my copy of Starting Strength to hopefully encourage the implementation of a strength program instead of a conditioning program. I have offered to help if they want it, but don't plan to force anything.

The school weight room is nice with at least 10 power racks and associated bars, plates, and benches. There is a set of dumbbells and then not much else. It seems like the perfect place for Starting Strength.

Based of the previous year's roster and rising freshman, there might be 25 kids on the high school team for next year and a handful of junior high kids who might participate in the program. I doubt there would ever be more than 15-20 at any given session due to other sports going on or whatever. There were only 10-12 at the first session last night.

I haven't read Starr TSSS yet, but that should probably be next on the list.

Any advice that I can pass on would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Annino View Post
    I am charging them 100 dollars per 1 hour session.
    Just as a general rule in the gym business I wouldn't do anything less than a 1 month commitment. So if you are gonna see them 2x/week I'd want $800-$1000 upfront to reserve YOUR TIME for the month. I never let anyone pay session by session. You have no predictable income that way and you might be turning away other business to accommodate this team that isn't going to be around for the long haul.

That's good advice. Since I haven't started with them yet, at my next meeting with the athletic director i'll ask for an upfront amount to reserve their sessions for the month.

With my typical clients I charge a monthly membership for open use of the facility but for personal training i have always just charged per session... Do you think that going forward having them pay a monthly rate based on number of sessions per week or possibly have them buy a block of sessions sort of like a punch pass system, is the way to go.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes.

You could still offer single sessions for members but at a higher rate - for example $100 for a single session. Then bundles of sessions from like $75-85/hour for one on one and $55-65 for semi-private sessions.

If you want to go over some ins an outs of pricing, selling, etc we can set up a phone call. I do this sort of thing all the time for coaches/small gym owners. It can really help your bottom line.
    Personal Phone Coaching ? Andy Baker