starting strength gym

Thread: Morning vs. Evening Training

Default Morning vs. Evening Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I have searched for this topic but only find really old threads and some of Rip's musings (who seems to think morning training is for crazy people).

Do you have a view on early morning training being risky ?

I train around 530am, I've usually already been awake for at least 45 mins and do gentle cross trainer for 10 mins to warm up. I also press first and squat afterwards to allow even more time between waking and being under load.

I've been training for 2 years. 35yrs old LP to start then 531, now TM for 2 months. 200lbs 5'8". 310x5 squat. 375x5 pull. Poverty bench. 140lb press. 130lbx 3 clean.

I'm starting to feel much more sore than I used to on LP and 531, particularly lower back. I can't figure out if it's the fact I'm training so early (and my spine is not 'awake') or just the brutality of the TM. No real pain just sore.

Training in the evening is possible but it probably means sharing a rack with someone quarter squatting and telling me I need to look up, and that's not good for my sanity.

Thanks for all your work on this board and the content on your site + newsletter.

Eddie
    (Greetings from England)

If you have the choice then I'd opt for late morning or early afternoon training. Some guys also do really well in the evening. It really depends on your lifestyle and schedule though.

I'm up at 430 everyday so I'm pretty tired by the evening plus I have stuff going on with my kids in the evening. 11am is my time.

I have lots of personal training clients at 530 and 615 and have for years. Most are busy executives that don't have any option other than to train early. They tend to be my most consistent clients though

I'm up at 4:00 & in the gym training at 4:45 six days a week--have been for years. It allows me to get to the office early enough that I can do afternoon stuff with my kids.

One thing you'll find with people who train early is consistency. I see the same people M-F almost without fail. Saturdays I usually have all to myself.

I also highly recommend Andy & Sully's new book--35 isn't too far from 40.

Agreed, it's the consistency of training at that time I like. With 3 kids and busy job, life has a habit of getting in the way when training later in the day!

I'll give some evenings a try.

Thank you for the guidance.

Consistency always wins.

starting strength coach development program
    I feel this is a highly individualized thing. I found the best time for me is about 1 - 2 PM then eat lunch afterwards. If I go before work, I feel like too stiff and weak. If I go after work I'm really tired and lethargic. If I work out as a late lunch, I have the most energy and am mentally more alert in the afternoon. I'm lucky enough to have a really flexible job time wise, so I realize that is not possible for most people. Many of my friends feel the same way. They seem to do best with the late lunch time frame workout.