Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: people who know their shit, please weigh in

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    mine are best described as 'speed work'

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    my conjugal visits always involve bands and chains too

That's an interesting arrangement, but what would be the actual loads used and the progression? Write out a couple of cycles and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    I focus on speed work.
    [emoji12] this raises a legitimate debate for Dynamic Effort vs Max Effort days. It is, however, rather convenient that The conjugal method does not incorporate Volume days. It's all fun (chains) and games (bands) until you have to do the volume work.

Let's start off with the obvious question.

What do you have time and energy for? What are the scheduling and logistical limitations we are trying to work around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Let's start off with the obvious question.

What do you have time and energy for? What are the scheduling and logistical limitations we are trying to work around here?
    Working 50-60 hours weakly, plus class 3 nights per weak. Looking at it realistically, I have time to lift 3 days per weak, probably can hit 2 big lifts per workout. 3 would be pushing it. Having thought about it, the plan I posted isn't the most effective one I can achieve. I can increase the relative frequency very easily with the following plan:

day 1: bench variant/squat
    day 2: bench variant/deadlift
    day 3: bench/squat variant

The variants are to offset the load very slightly, as well as keep me from getting too beat up hitting the exact same movements all the time.

It would look something like this

Saturday
    Squat - comp form with wraps
    3x3xheavy weight, maybe a backoff set

close grip bench press
    4x6xmedium weight, followed by 1x10 backoff set

monday
    close grip incline
    4x6xmedium weight, followed by 1x10 backoff set

deadlift
    not sure what sets/reps

wednesday
    bench press
    4x3xheavy weight, followed by 2x5 overload sets with slingshot

box squat
    4x5 ot

in addition, I'm week enough right now that I can probably use a weakly progression for a couple months before adopting multi-weak waves.

Day 1: Squat, Bench
    Day 2: Deadlift, Bench
    Day 3: Squat, Bench

^^

That is one of the most tried and true templates out there. You can easily build something effective from that. I use that very set-up all the time. Variation stays high, like you've got here, during off-season and then all of those slots become comp movement slots for the last 4-6 weeks before a peak. I'd undulate the bench (9/7/5, 8/6/4, 7/5/3, etc. for the three sessions), non-linear for the squat (8/4, 7/3, 6/2, or whatever), and linearly periodize the DL (5x5, 5x4, 5x3 etc).

During the off-season, you could just periodize everything the same way however you want and use movement selection to off-set the loads like you've outlined here.

Considering your weekness, maybe just run a short LP from that template and then branch into various periodization waves as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Day 1: Squat, Bench
    Day 2: Deadlift, Bench
    Day 3: Squat, Bench

^^

That is one of the most tried and true templates out there. You can easily build something effective from that. I use that very set-up all the time. Variation stays high, like you've got here, during off-season and then all of those slots become comp movement slots for the last 4-6 weeks before a peak. I'd undulate the bench (9/7/5, 8/6/4, 7/5/3, etc. for the three sessions), non-linear for the squat (8/4, 7/3, 6/2, or whatever), and linearly periodize the DL (5x5, 5x4, 5x3 etc).

During the off-season, you could just periodize everything the same way however you want and use movement selection to off-set the loads like you've outlined here.
    Huh. I really like this as a really barebones template. So for rep ranges would you just be doing repeats/set across for the bench and squat?

starting strength coach development program
    Yep. For people who don't like RPE, you can add the option of a controlled AMRAP on the final set to help regulate loads for the next week. For example, 4x3@82.5%, 1x3-8@82.5%. If you get ~7-8 reps, increase training max for the next week 2.5-5kg. Otherwise, accumulating sets @7-8 does the trick. I usually do include ramped sets up to @9 for the final few weeks before a peak because I think the intensity stimulus is important during that period.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12