starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Hybrid Model/ HLM Phase II Variation

Default Texas Hybrid Model/ HLM Phase II Variation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good Morning,

I'm looking for some criticism on a program that I've written and one week into. I've taken from "A hybrid model for Olympic Lifting" (p. 136) and HLM "Three Day Model - Phase II" (p. 169).

I really enjoyed the Texas hybrid, but I determined that I wasn't getting the amount of exposure to the Olympic lifts that I wanted. I started exploring the HLM because it offers a lead into adding more days. So it offers some models to learn from and I should probably consider this as an option when my intermediate-ness matures. (in pounds Sq - 380x5, Pr - 170x3, DL - 415x5. Bwt - 195lbs (at the time of the lifts, I'm almost back at 175 hitting the same numbers), 5'7")

I've come up with:

Monday - Medium or Volume Day
    Snatch - Max (1 miss -10kg, up to another miss as described HLM)
    Clean and Jerk - Max
    Squat - 5x5 75% Friday
    Deadlift - 1x5

Tuesday - Light Day
    Snatch - 5x1 75%
    C&J - 5x1 75%
    Front Squat - 3x3
    Press - 5x5

Friday - Heavy or Intensity Day
    Snatch - 5x1 85%
    C&J - 5x1 85%
    Squat - 5x1
    Press - 5x1
    Deadlift 1x1 (weight used the following Monday)

So I was hoping you might be able to poke some holes in the set up or organization. I appreciate any time you're able to offer.

Thank you,
    Geoff

Yeah, I don't see anything too wrong with this. You'll just have to run it for a while and tweak it as you go. You'll have to rotate some 2s and 3s in on Friday for your squats and presses. You can't just do singles across week after week for any length of time

Thank you Andy,

It was a point not specified in the hybrid model section (however, it was illustrated by the example), but the texas method section does address that issue. Thank you for pointing it out. As a solution, do you think adding a rep per week could be the answer?

eg. week 1 - 1x5, wk 2 - 2x5, wk 3 - 3x5, wk 4 - Increase weight and back to 1x5.

This seems somewhat parallel to the Texas Method to me; as in running it out but in reverse. Would there be anything wrong with that?

Could work, yes. Don't know if it will, but not illogical

Good,

I was just looking to see if it was an ill-conceived idea, or a program with a poor basis. A really appreciate you taking time out of your day to share your expertise Andy.

Take care.