starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have SS book, but not PP.. is the Linear Progression set in stone?

Default I have SS book, but not PP.. is the Linear Progression set in stone?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I train with my 14 year old son, probably just barely in that stage IV of puberty rip recommended in an article I read... body hair, just starting to get facial hair...

Anyhow, he has been progressing nicely on the novice routine with 5lb jumps on the squat and dead (every other workout) and 2.5 lb jumps on the bench and press. (1.25) plates. (every other workout).

My weights work out to 90lbs more than his on bench squat an Dead, and 50 more on press and bench, so I just work with his jumps, as a 46 year old fart. I.E. he does 95 3x5, I do 185 3x5.

I was just being conservative with him, ensuring good form and keeping the novice gains rolling. Is there anything wrong with this, other than it may take a bit more time to get to where he was going if he used larger jumps? I assume he would just stall sooner and need his programming "fixed" in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselBro View Post
    I was just being conservative with him, ensuring good form and keeping the novice gains rolling. Is there anything wrong with this, other than it may take a bit more time to get to where he was going if he used larger jumps? I assume he would just stall sooner and need his programming "fixed" in some way.
    Seems like a good approach for a 14 year old. Get form dialed in correctly from the beginning. He's got tons of time to get strong.

He's so friggin big, (6'2" 245) that everyone assumes he is older than he is, and weak LOL. I'm like "dude he's 14"

PPST is a must. There are about 6 stages of lp described in detail for what to do when even small jumps are no longer possible.

Diesel bro, yes, PP 3rd Ed really is a must. So much good info in there, well worth the money. As you progress you will need it, actually you will benefit from it now. Soon enough (if not now) you will be progressing into Advanced Novice, so the book covers it.

What really made PP 3rd Ed all worthwhile was the information on Salyes law, the stress-recovery-adaptation section. Without fully understanding it, the programs will not make sense.

I have a 12 yr old son and can't wait for him to be ready to train with me. And my 12 yr old daughter as well. have fun with your boy, he will be bigger and stronger than you before you realize it!

I'd say the SS book is your friend now.
    I'd be more worried about the kids form getting ingrained correctly. . . .mechanics, etc
    The kid's novice stage/LP should last a good long while, if he's growing to be giant . . . or I would hope so anyways.
    His LP should move along as he fills out his frame.

PP is more programing related, yeah, you both might need that down the road aways.

How long has your son been lifting?
    I bet most of the adaptations are neural.
    Is he lanky . . or should I say long weirdly-proportionate limbs?
    is he all over the place when he benches squats?
    Numbers could be low just because coordination, etc.

If so, I'm sure things will start moving along once that gets sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I'd say the SS book is your friend now.
    I'd be more worried about the kids form getting ingrained correctly. . . .mechanics, etc
    The kid's novice stage/LP should last a good long while, if he's growing to be giant . . . or I would hope so anyways.
    His LP should move along as he fills out his frame.

PP is more programing related, yeah, you both might need that down the road aways.

How long has your son been lifting?
    I bet most of the adaptations are neural.
    Is he lanky . . or should I say long weirdly-proportionate limbs?
    is he all over the place when he benches squats?
    Numbers could be low just because coordination, etc.

If so, I'm sure things will start moving along once that gets sorted out.

Everything looks pretty good, except for the squat... he has arms like 2" longer than mine so the whole starting position thing has been a battle.. he has poor "body awareness" for lack of a better term, he has grown so fast so quickly it seems like he is still figuring out how to move around. His squat practically equals his bench because the form hasn't been there, and he's missed reps and stuff due to messed up form. We are still working on it, I figure the posterier chain is getting worked via the deadlift, which has less moving parts, and can be explained in 1 sentence.

I misspoke in OP he hasn't been jumping 5 lbs on the squat.. more like 2.5 here and there.

He's only been at it consistently for a month or so, before that he was on 2 basketball teams, so "lifting" was just hanging out with me and doing what he could.

BTW

I wasn't trying to ape the book from anyone.. if it is something we will need eventually, I will pick it up. I've been meaning to pick Sully's book up also.

The only thing set in stone is "you must squat or you are a pussy"

starting strength coach development program
    It's a worthwhile book. Think about it this way. Buy the book now and start reading. That way, when he does get to a point where the programming needs modification, you'll be ready. Besides, you will probably need to read it more than once to absorb all the information in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast