starting strength gym

Thread: Job specific training

Default Job specific training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    H,i I'm male 36 and have been barbell training for about 2 years. My goals are to get bigger and stronger. I started on the greyskull LP and have since them been doing mostly Madcows. I have been thinking about trying the Texas Method and learning the power clean. I am a blacksmith by trade. This involved a considerable amount of hammering with hammers weighing 3-4 lbs. I have previously experienced neck and shoulder issues, created (i speculate) from imbalances caused from the hammering. Strength training appears to have eliminated these issues. I understand that the powerclean is a valuable lift, but I wonder if rowing and chins aren't more useful in my case given the hammering. I can accept slower progress on my deads and squats , but I very much require my arms function for the long term. Your advise will be appreciated.

At 36, you probably can't expect your power clean to actually be a driver of your squat or deadlift. At this point, you'd just be doing Power Cleans because you want to do them, not because you need them. You don't have to do Cleans OR chins though. You could do both in any intermediate program.

Texas Method will be hard for long term usage. You might consider a heavy/light split routine or a heavy-light-medium full body routine.

Thanks for taking the time to answer . I appreciate it and will look into it. I really like full body workouts, so I will likely start there.